The return of London Fashion Week
From today, the biggest names in the fashion world will descend upon the capital for London Fashion Week 2012.
The city has always enjoyed a stellar reputation as a style hub, but this was cemented in the eighties when the first official London Fashion Week opened in 1984.
The idea of fashion shows began long before that, though. In the late nineteenth century, French couture salons created “fashion parades” that would show off their clothes. And in 1903, a New York store called Ehrich Brothers is thought to have hosted America’s first fashion show in-store.
One past highlight of London Fashion Week is the debut collection of a then little-known graduate, John Galliano, who went on to become the head of French fashion house Christian Dior.
Also notable is the presence of British designer Stella McCartney, who will show her main collection in Paris but returns to her home town for the presentation of a smaller capsule range - who knows whether the collection will draw on her Olympic credentials?
We’ve selected key highlights from London Fashion week over the last decade, click on View Gallery to see more.
Our fashion team will be blogging live from Fashion Week, with a selection of pictures from the shows.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Kylie Jenner challenge: Bizarre lip suction device inspired by Kardashian sister goes viral
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor are reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 4 Bruce Forsyth backs assisted dying campaign: 'If I had Alzheimer's or dementia I would do something about it'
- 5 Giorgio Armani criticises the way some gay men dress saying 'a man has to be a man'
£14000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An Office Administrator is requ...
£12000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Due to expansion and growth of ...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Senior PHP Developer position with a...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: An Operations Leader is required to join a lea...