The return of London Fashion Week
From today, the biggest names in the fashion world will descend upon the capital for London Fashion Week 2012.
The city has always enjoyed a stellar reputation as a style hub, but this was cemented in the eighties when the first official London Fashion Week opened in 1984.
The idea of fashion shows began long before that, though. In the late nineteenth century, French couture salons created “fashion parades” that would show off their clothes. And in 1903, a New York store called Ehrich Brothers is thought to have hosted America’s first fashion show in-store.
One past highlight of London Fashion Week is the debut collection of a then little-known graduate, John Galliano, who went on to become the head of French fashion house Christian Dior.
Also notable is the presence of British designer Stella McCartney, who will show her main collection in Paris but returns to her home town for the presentation of a smaller capsule range - who knows whether the collection will draw on her Olympic credentials?
We’ve selected key highlights from London Fashion week over the last decade, click on View Gallery to see more.
Our fashion team will be blogging live from Fashion Week, with a selection of pictures from the shows.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 3 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 4 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 5 Snoop Dogg on why he doesn't regret displaying misogyny towards women
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...