The sexiest swimwear for summer: If you're hitting the beach, think urban - and urbane
You no longer have to choose between style and substance when it comes to fashionable swimwear
Friday 11 July 2014
Midsummer swimwear season is well and truly upon us – but diving in at the deep end is no excuse for shirking the style stakes.
In the past, fashionable swimwear felt like a paradox – if it was fashionable, you probably couldn't swim in it.
Imagine Joan Collins lounging beside a pool in some boned, buttressed and bedazzled confection and a pair of Manolo Blahnik sandals.
The implication was that stylish swimsuits negated swimming. They were dry land - and dry clean - only.
The difference today is that fashionable swimwear combines style and substance: it’s no longer an either/or decision between activity and aesthetics.
Established labels like Agent Provocateur are applying the techniques of lingerie, and their fashion nous, to swimwear, while a clutch of specialist labels such as Babajaan are focusing their attention purely on sleek swimwear that is both pretty and pretty practical.
Styling: Magdalena Bryk
Photographs: Louise Samuelsen
Model: Jennifer at M+P
Hair: Peter Beckett at Frank
Make-up: Philippe Miletto at The Factory
Stylist's assistant: Iza Rembisz
Photography: ONE Represents
Photographer's assistant: Michael Wickham
Life & Style blogs
Kylie Jenner challenge: Strange lip suction device inspired by Kardashian sister goes viral
Chloe Sevigny poses with a lobster on her crotch in a daring shoot for Marfa Journal
Loch Ness Monster: Google Maps unveils Nessie Street View and homepage Doodle
Coachella Festival 2015: from Kendall Jenner to Alexa Chung, stars and festival-goers parade their boho best
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 2 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor David Dinsmore reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 3 Giorgio Armani criticises the way some gay men dress saying 'a man has to be a man'
- 4 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
- 5 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
£20000 - £25000 per annum + Commission: SThree: Are you great at building rela...
£16000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An SEO Executive is required to...
£16000 - £38000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Due to continued expansion, an ...
£65000 - £70000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A long-established, tech...