The sexiest swimwear for summer: If you're hitting the beach, think urban - and urbane
You no longer have to choose between style and substance when it comes to fashionable swimwear
Friday 11 July 2014
Midsummer swimwear season is well and truly upon us – but diving in at the deep end is no excuse for shirking the style stakes.
In the past, fashionable swimwear felt like a paradox – if it was fashionable, you probably couldn't swim in it.
Imagine Joan Collins lounging beside a pool in some boned, buttressed and bedazzled confection and a pair of Manolo Blahnik sandals.
The implication was that stylish swimsuits negated swimming. They were dry land - and dry clean - only.
The difference today is that fashionable swimwear combines style and substance: it’s no longer an either/or decision between activity and aesthetics.
Established labels like Agent Provocateur are applying the techniques of lingerie, and their fashion nous, to swimwear, while a clutch of specialist labels such as Babajaan are focusing their attention purely on sleek swimwear that is both pretty and pretty practical.
Styling: Magdalena Bryk
Photographs: Louise Samuelsen
Model: Jennifer at M+P
Hair: Peter Beckett at Frank
Make-up: Philippe Miletto at The Factory
Stylist's assistant: Iza Rembisz
Photography: ONE Represents
Photographer's assistant: Michael Wickham
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Edward Heath 'raped 12 year-old boy at Mayfair flat'
- 2 Sabrina Corgatelli: US hunting tourist posts picture of herself with dead giraffe after Cecil the lion outrage
- 3 Porn block in India: hundreds of sexual websites banned, internet outraged
- 4 Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale divorce: One of music industry’s most enduring couples announce split after 12 years of marriage
- 5 A-level results 2015: UK exam board OCR admits it 'estimates' hundreds of pupils' grades after papers 'go missing'
£15000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You will have worked within the...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This company provides mortgages, savings and i...
£14000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company is a well-respecte...
£18000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Would you like to sell somethin...