Why brand Beckham rules the catwalk
After performing live to millions during the Olympics closing ceremony, you might not expect Victoria Beckham to be daunted by an audience of hundreds. But the spectators at her New York Fashion Week show on Sunday did include Vogue editor Anna Wintour and many other industry heavyweights.
The collection she presented has received rave reviews. In the four years since she launched her own clothing line, Beckham, 38, has taken the fashion industry by storm. But how?
The VB label is styled in the mould of the designers that she herself, as a confessed fashion fanatic, looks up to. It is a brand with the hallmarks of sartorial sophistication: subtle, exclusive and extortionately priced.
But Beckham's rise to the top of the fashion industry is rather singular. Whereas her earlier attempts – modelling at London Fashion Week, partying on Roberto Cavalli's yacht – spoke of a rather tabloid sensibility, her current success is something that has been considered, cultivated and coached by friends in high places. Victoria Beckham, it seems, has arrived.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- < Previous
- Next >
£60000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Senior Data Sc...
Highly Attractive Salary: Austen Lloyd: BRISTOL - This is a very unusual law c...
£28000 - £30000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Junior VB.NET ...
£40000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Web De...