Why I Love: Hot poses
Jemima French, fashion designer
Sunday 14 June 2009
I've done yoga for 20 years, but three years ago I discovered Bikram, or "hot", yoga and it's become a complete passion. You practise it in a room heated to 40 degrees, which lets you push yourself further. You go in like a piece of raw spaghetti and come out cooked!
I had to have a break from it at one stage, as I loved it so much that I was doing it to excess; now I only do it three times a week.
You sweat so much, it's hysterical. I look like I've been swimming and it gives you a constant bad-hair day, but it's brilliant for body and mind. It's based on a repetitive sequence of movements, so once you know it, it sends you into a deep meditative trance. It's particularly great for building mental stamina – I can now get past barriers that would once have daunted me.
FrostFrench's SS09 collection is available now at 22-26 Camden Passage, London N1 (tel: 020 7354 0053).
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 A third of employers never check job applicants' qualifications, survey finds
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Junior Quant Analyst - C++, Boost...
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Service Desk Analyst- (Desktop Su...
£30000 - £50000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Junior Quant Analyst (Machine Lea...
£45000 - £55000 per annum: Harrington Starr: UNIX Application Support Analyst-...