French women don't get old - ten tips to age gracefully
Thursday 15 July 2010
After Mireille Guiliano's 2004 dieting bestseller,
French women don't get fat, the Parisian wisdom 'du jour' seems to be about how to keep looking youthful.
The New York Times has published a story on "aging gracefully, the French way," citing actress Catherine Deneuve and politician Segolene Royal as shining examples.
The story, released July 15, comes complete with a guide on how to "age like a Frenchwoman." Here are your ten (summarized) golden commandments:
1. Take care of yourself and be aware of your own femininity.
2. Avoid heavy makeup.
3. Use lotion instead of soap.
4. Rinse your skin with cold water to improve circulation.
5. Eat fresh foods in small portions. (The author of the article admits, however, that many French women help nature along with the aid of pills or other treatments.)
6. This is why you won't have to exercise. Go to the spa instead.
7. Go to the dermatologist.
8. If it has to be plastic surgery, "the objective is to look like themselves - not someone 20 years younger."
9. Don't dress like your daughter, and pay attention to great accessories (good jewelry, statement shoes, a nicely wrapped scarf).
10. Wear sexy underwear. As the French writer Françoise Sagan wrote: "A dress makes no sense unless it inspires men to take it off you."
For the full story, click here.
Life & Style blogs
Kanye West's Yeezy Boost trainers: All you need to know ahead of the UK launch
How Stephen Hawking is still alive, defying ALS and the worst expectations
The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 1 Forget 'The Dress': Here are five of the biggest news stories you might have missed
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 Prince Harry leaving the armed forced to pursue conservation projects in Africa
- 4 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 5 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: EXETER - A great new opportunity with real pot...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: EXETER - An outstanding senior opportunity for...
salary equal to £40K pro-rata: Sauce Recruitment: Are you available to start a...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Creative Front-End Developer - Claph...