Gucci chooses Japan, not China, for anniversary celebrations
Wednesday 27 April 2011
While fashion brands have recently turned to China to stage prestigious events - just this month, Burberry organized its biggest runway show ever in Beijing - Gucci will fete its 90 years at Kyoto's Golden Temple,
Women's Wear Daily reports.
The Japanese city being the sister city of Gucci's native Florence, the Italian brand deemed it an appropriate place to showcase a selection of rare and unique items from its archive.
According to the article, "the fact that Gucci is pressing ahead illustrates just how much life in Japan is slowly resuming its normal rhythms after last month's massive earthquake and tsunami."
The show will run from June 25 to July 13 before moving to Kyoto's University of Arts and Design in October and Gucci's flagship store in Tokyo's Ginza district in November.
Gucci had previously announced the release of its 1921 collection of revamped classics including the Bamboo bag on the occasion of its 90th birthday.
Another brand has announced anniversary plans this week: New York handbag label Coach will celebrate its 70th birthday with a new campaign starring Gwyneth Paltrow, which will be released in Europe and Asia later this year.
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Astrological signs are almost all wrong, as movement of moon and sun throws out zodiac
The distress of some Zayn Malik fans is real, and they need support, say experts
The food fad that's starving Bolivia
Gay marriage, one year on: Couples mark first anniversary of same-sex marriages
- 1 East 17 bandmember Brian Harvey in 'very desperate situation’
- 2 Vladimir Putin says Russia will fight for the right of Palestinians to their own state
- 3 WrestleMania 31 results: Seth Rollins stuns WWE as he cashes in Money in the Bank contract to claim title from Brock Lesnar
- 4 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 5 Germanwings plane crash: I have depression. That doesn't make me a psychopath
£32000 - £38000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Management Accountant / F...
£27000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This leading provider of a mark...
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company provides Reliabili...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This leading provider of refrigeration, mechan...