Gucci chooses Japan, not China, for anniversary celebrations
Wednesday 27 April 2011
While fashion brands have recently turned to China to stage prestigious events - just this month, Burberry organized its biggest runway show ever in Beijing - Gucci will fete its 90 years at Kyoto's Golden Temple,
Women's Wear Daily reports.
The Japanese city being the sister city of Gucci's native Florence, the Italian brand deemed it an appropriate place to showcase a selection of rare and unique items from its archive.
According to the article, "the fact that Gucci is pressing ahead illustrates just how much life in Japan is slowly resuming its normal rhythms after last month's massive earthquake and tsunami."
The show will run from June 25 to July 13 before moving to Kyoto's University of Arts and Design in October and Gucci's flagship store in Tokyo's Ginza district in November.
Gucci had previously announced the release of its 1921 collection of revamped classics including the Bamboo bag on the occasion of its 90th birthday.
Another brand has announced anniversary plans this week: New York handbag label Coach will celebrate its 70th birthday with a new campaign starring Gwyneth Paltrow, which will be released in Europe and Asia later this year.
Life & Style blogs
Snapchat removed the Best Friends list feature and 'stalkers' are upset
Virtual reality thrusts viewers into the frontline of global events - and puts film-goers at the heart of the action
Fifty years of David Bowie's hairstyles in one animated gif
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
Eight-year-old girl Camilla Lisant suggests possible cure for cancer to her scientist father
- 1 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner's 'story': 'We support him no matter what, and I think when the time is right, he'll talk'
- 4 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 5 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
£21000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This centre seeks an experience...
£16000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Our client is the UK's leading ...
£20000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An experienced Fee Earner/Techn...
£20000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company is part of this mu...