Iris Apfel to be focus of new fashion documentary
Saturday 03 September 2011
The 90-year-old textile and interior design extraordinaire is only now at the peak of her career.
Following a Coach campaign, a coffee table book on her style ( Rare Bird of Fashion: The Irreverent Iris Apfel by the photographer Eric Boman), and the announcement of a jewelry collaboration with Alexis Bittar to hit HSN in late September, Apfel has told the New York Times that a feature film on her is in the works.
The documentary will be shot by none other than Albert Maysles whose films on socialite Edie Beale Grey Gardens and The Beales of Grey Gardens garnered siginficant attention from the fashion crowd.
Asked about working with Apfel, Bradley Kaplan, the president of products at Maysles Films, told the NYT: "She's wonderfully strong-willed, opinionated and single-minded...," adding that her signature round glasses "have in effect become a metaphor for her eyes, and through them we've found another way of looking at our own world."
There is no word yet on the film's release date or title, but there are a few intriguing interviews with the tastemaker to be found on YouTube to bridge the waiting time, such as this one filmed for a museum exhibition, "Rare Bird of Fashion: The Irreverent Iris Apfel": http://youtu.be/yzf_WPqsmTM.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Kenya President Uhuru Kenyatta clashes with President Obama on LGBT equality: ‘Gay rights is really a non-issue’
- 2 Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park
- 3 Mers outbreak: Manchester Royal Infirmary A&E closes over suspected cases
- 4 Jon Snow alive? New Game of Thrones toy line suggests he's not among the dead
- 5 Denmark bans kosher and halal slaughter as minister says ‘animal rights come before religion’
£18000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Sales Executive is required t...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + competitive: SThree: £20000 - £25000 per annum + c...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company provides a number ...
£15000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Do you want to work for an exci...