Lagerfeld feels a volcanic autumn chill at Chanel
Tuesday 08 March 2011
It's getting to be springtime in Paris, but Karl Lagerfeld sent a volcanic chill of autumn swirling through the Grand Palais on Tuesday as he presented a tomboyish Chanel fall-winter collection.
In a deliberate contrast from the Parisian garden theme that framed the spring-summer show, Lagerfeld sent darker, looser looks down a wooden boardwalk the length of a venue carpeted with volcanic dust that crunched underfoot.
The soundtrack - "A Forest" by The Cure, from March 1980, about a man who goes looking for a woman in, well, a forest - set the tone, even if there wasn't a tree in sight.
The daytime looks had a 1980s sort of quality, too, as the show opened with a glittering black cape over a red Chanel cardigan, followed by silhouettes built around skinny distressed jeans or loose trousers with checkered cuffs.
In lieu of stilettos were no-nonsense boots a la Doc Martens or kitten heels.
More feminine was the evening wear, such as a panelled grey dress with puffed shoulders and a delicate 1930s-ish pantsuit with embroidered lace top.
The Chanel show is the biggest of the nine-day Paris pret-a-porter season - overshadowed this year by the sudden downfall of John Galliano at Christian Dior - which concludes on Wednesday.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Liam Gallagher brands Kanye West 'utter s**t' during BRIT Awards performance
- 2 Isis burns thousands of books and rare manuscripts from Mosul's libraries
- 3 People who sleep more than eight hours are more likely to have a stroke, research shows
- 4 Kanye West climbs on table at Nando's to crowd chants of 'Yeezus' before Brit Awards 2015 performance of 'All Day'
- 5 New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
£23000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This small, friendly, proactive...
£14500 - £22800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Software Developer is required to join a lea...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: A first rate opportunity to join a top ranking...