Mad Hatter Johnny Depp named 'hat person of the year'
Wednesday 16 March 2011
Johnny Depp has been crowned "hat person of the year," beating out other celebrity hat-wearers including US singer Gwen Stefani and Australian actor Hugh Jackman, the US Headwear Association said Tuesday.
Nearly four in 10 visitors to the Headwear Association's website voted in the annual poll for "Pirates of the Caribbean" star Depp and his wide-brimmed fedoras, helping him to roundly beat Stefani and Jackman who garnered 17 percent and 16 percent of votes cast, respectively.
Fittingly, Depp played the Mad Hatter in Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland." He takes over from last year's "hat person of the year," fellow actor Brad Pitt, who helped made the newsboy's cap fashionable.
In fourth place behind Depp this year was US pop singer Justin Timberlake, with 13 percent, followed by "Almost Famous" actress Kate Hudson who got nine percent of the vote, and Nicole Ritchie, with seven percent.
Many of the celebrities on this year's hat podium favor fedoras like Depp's, and, indeed, the wide-brimmed hat is making a comeback, according to the 103-year-old Headwear Association.
"Wider-brimmed fedoras were seen on the Paris, Milan and New York runways" in recent international fashion weeks, the Headwear Association says.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 3 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 Q&A by Simon Calder: How far could it have travelled? Who was responsible and what would their plans be? And how can a plane just vanish?
- 4 California man Christopher Viatafa surrenders to police after googling own name and discovering himself listed as ‘most wanted’
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers
£50000 - £60000 per annum: Charter Selection: This well respected and exciting...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Charter Selection: This exciting company and market...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + EXCELLENT SALARY: Austen Lloyd: Senior Private Cli...
£25,000 to £35,000: IT Connections Ltd: Signal Processing Engineer / Acoustics...