Men's Botox treatments on the rise, but they're not about wrinkles
Men are increasingly asking for anti-sweat Botox procedures, according to one of the UK's most prominent cosmetic surgery providers.
Just over the last week, the Harley Medical Group said it had seen an increase of 26 percent in so-called Sweatox interventions, where Botox is injected into the armpits or palms of the hands in order to freeze sweat glands and stop perspiration.
Liz Dale, director of The Harley Medical Group, said: "Many are thinking ahead to the warmer summer months and want to avoid embarrassing sweat patches as they face rising temperatures on commuter-packed public transport," and she added that the treatment was both for "those suffering from the medical condition, hyperhidrosis, as well as those just wanting to combat visible wet patches and clammy palms."
A Sweatox treatment costs from £550 (around €650) and lasts six to twelve months. While it reduces sweating for the majority of patients (70 to 80 percent), it can be painful and cause minor paralysis on the hands in rare cases.
Overall, Botox is currently the second most-requested, non-surgical procedure at the clinic (after laser hair removal). As for surgery, breast enlargement tops the list. For women, that is.
Life & Style blogs
Dozens of empty homes in two of Liverpool’s most deprived areas will be brought back into use thanks...
A roundup of the latest property news
Plus, do energy saving measures boost house prices?
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...