£81,000 for Beatrice's wedding hat
Monday 23 May 2011
The hat worn by Princess Beatrice to the royal wedding has raised £81,100 for charity in an online auction.
The Philip Treacy headpiece divided opinion when the 22-year-old wore it, and has been compared to a pretzel and a toilet seat.
Billed as "unique sculptural celebratory headpiece", it was auctioned on eBay to raise money for charities Unicef and Children in Crisis. The new owner has not been indentified. Commenting on the auction page, the Princess said: "I've been amazed by the amount of attention the hat has attracted.
"It's a wonderful opportunity to raise as much money as possible for two fantastic charities."
Life & Style blogs
Twitter not working: Social network says problem with tweets not showing is fixed
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Facebook attacked over dead relative photos in 'Year in Review' slides
Grim second life of the 'breastaurant': The oft-loathed sector is booming in the States thanks to Hooters, Twin Peaks and Tilted Kilt
Anti-smoking adverts accused of 'scaremongering'
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 Doctors remove 80 teeth from boy's jaw
- 3 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 4 Stoke-on-Trent becomes first British city to be classified as 'disaster resilient' by the United Nations
- 5 Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
£17000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Junior Mobile Application Devel...
£23000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This national Company that manu...
£13000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Scotland's leading life insuran...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Maintenance Assistant is requ...