£81,000 for Beatrice's wedding hat
Monday 23 May 2011
The hat worn by Princess Beatrice to the royal wedding has raised £81,100 for charity in an online auction.
The Philip Treacy headpiece divided opinion when the 22-year-old wore it, and has been compared to a pretzel and a toilet seat.
Billed as "unique sculptural celebratory headpiece", it was auctioned on eBay to raise money for charities Unicef and Children in Crisis. The new owner has not been indentified. Commenting on the auction page, the Princess said: "I've been amazed by the amount of attention the hat has attracted.
"It's a wonderful opportunity to raise as much money as possible for two fantastic charities."
Life & Style blogs
Nokia no more: Microsoft drops once-ubiquitous mobile name – in favour of its Lumia brand
Fake goats’ cheese found in supermarkets
Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
Uber France apologises for sexist promotion offering men free rides with 'incredibly hot chicks' as drivers
Hate your email? Google knows: its new app promises the earth (and a manageable inbox)
- 1 This 'woman calls police to order pizza' story isn't going where you're expecting
- 2 Marijuana use by teenagers does not result in a lower IQ or worse exam results, study finds
- 3 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 4 Jimmy Carr's controversial Oscar Pistorius joke goes too far at the Q Awards
- 5 NHS staff banned from drinking tea or coffee on the job because it looks like they're not working hard enough
£300 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: SSRS Report Developer – 3 Mon...
£95 - £150 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: Key Stage 1 teacher require...
£32000 - £39000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Ashdown Group: Generalist HR Man...
£18000 - £30000 per annum + uncapped: SThree: Do you feel like your sales role...