Agenda: YMC and Clarks Originals; Solange Knowles; John Grant; Most Important Cats of 2012
Sunday 30 December 2012
Fashion: New life for old loafers
Start the New Year with a spring in your step – the latest collaboration between the hip London label YMC (it stands for You Must Create) and Clarks Originals is proof that you can tweak a classic. The footwear brand’s iconic Chukka desert boot is remade in supple tan and chocolate leather, while loafers come in zingy azure blue, atop the traditional crepe sole. From £89, clarksorginals.com
Face to watch: Solange
Beyoncé’s hipper younger sister shares her mononymous status but not yet her superstar reach – though thatmight be redressed in 2013, with her stunning EP “True” released on 7 January ahead of a new album.
Lexpionage: Me-tox, n.
A period of intense self-regard, usually undergone in January following a December of intense self-loathing, during which one prattles on about the exclusion of alcohol/biscuits/bonhomie from one’s diet.
Social networking: Match the tweet to the star
Mary Beard, Tamara Ecclestone, Frank Ocean, Christine Hamilton
1. Taking the frog in my thoat 2
2. Notice in post office "customers who need assistance shd ask a member of staff for help" go figure.
3. Word of the day: philautia
4. Looking forward to throwing my sisters surprise birthday party tonight
Answers at the bottom of the page
App watch: Pong World
We expect you’ve had more than enough organised group entertainment by this fag-end point in the festivities – and therefore might be looking for an antisocial yet compelling entertainment option, such as this 40thanniversary update of the Atari bat-and-ball classic. Free from iTunes Store
On the radar: Because some things are still worth getting excited about…
Music: John Grant
How to follow an album as heart-stopping as 2010’s Queen of Denmark? Well, the Denver songwriter has gone electronic for single “Pale Green Ghosts”, and it bodes brilliantly for March’s sophomore LP. bit.ly/RpqcTH
Interiors: Giant year planner
If you’re truly concerned with remembering what you’re supposed to be doing, then forget dog-eared calendars and invest in this mahoosive marker-penable 125cm by 117cm wall sticker. purlfrost.com
Internet: Most Important Cats of 2012
Because, The New Review’s aside, no end-of-year round-up truly registers the pulse of 2012 better than this top 30 of the funkiest, French-est and most fearsome felines. bit.ly/TVjhjp
Match the tweet: 1. Christine Hamilton; 2. Mary Beard; 3. Frank Ocean; 4. Tamara Ecclestone
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 A third of employers never check job applicants' qualifications, survey finds
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Junior Quant Analyst - C++, Boost...
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Service Desk Analyst- (Desktop Su...
£30000 - £50000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Junior Quant Analyst (Machine Lea...
£45000 - £55000 per annum: Harrington Starr: UNIX Application Support Analyst-...