New York boasts the highest numbers of beauty salons and yearly spending on products, reports totalbeauty.com.
Based on data from the US Census Bureau, the online beauty review and how-to platform has compiled a list of the most vain cities in the US:
1. In New York, New York, citizens are spoilt for choice, as the city offers the "personal care" services of more than 10,000 salons, more than three times the number of any other city in the country. Also, New Yorkers spend a yearly $21 million on hair coloring, $32.5 million on skin care, $5.5 million on makeup and a whopping $530,000 on hair growth products alone.
2. Miami, Floria sets itself apart through the unfavorable combination of vain citizens (5.2 plastic surgeons per 100,000 inhabitants and a yearly spending on beauty products of $23 million) and some of the country's unhealthiest statistics regarding smoking, drinking, and exercise, according to the Bureau.
3. In San Francisco, California, people spend $11 million a year on skincare, $5.2 million on hair products and $1.3 million on makeup.
4. Salt Lake City, Utah has, relatively speaking, more plastic surgeons than any other US city: six per 100,000 inhabitants.
5. The portal gives the fifth place to Los Angeles, California, even though "personal care" salons mount to 3,700 here. Surprisingly, other figures such as the number of plastic surgeons and money spent on products are topped in other cities.
6. The last available data from the Census Bureau (from 2002) says that Texas, Dallas has 1,500 hair and nail salons, and totalbeauty.com thinks that by now, just as many things in Texas, that figure has gotten significantly bigger.
7. People in San Diego, California spend $3 million yearly just on hair coloring products.
8. Charleston, West Virginia boasts 33.7 tanning salons per 100,000 people, more than any other city in the states.
9. Minneapolis, Minnesota has 1343 "personal care" businesses, more than a thousand of which are hair salons.
10. The inhabitants of Louisville, Kentucky spend a yearly $5.5 million on hair, makeup and skin care products and services. The city also has four plastic surgeons per 100,000 citizens.
In Europe, the second-largest market for plastic surgery after the US, the UK has been cited as the country with the highest spendings on plastic surgery by various sources.Reuse content