Beauty continues love affair with modern art
Wednesday 03 February 2010
Prior to the launch of the first solo exhibition in the US dedicated to German artist Otto Dix, opening at New York's Neue Galerie in March, beauty brand Estée Lauder is releasing two limited-edition products inspired by his works.
According to style.com, a lipstick in "Berlin Red" paying tribute to the lipstick-wearing women in Dix's paintings (e.g., Dancer Anita Berber, Reclining Woman on Leopard Skin) and a Bauhaus-inspired compact mirror will go on sale exclusively at the museum shop of the Neue Galerie.
Estée Lauder's son Ronald started the museum together with art dealer Serge Sabarsky, which makes for a simple explanation for the collaboration.
However, it is interesting how beauty brands have increasingly been drawing on the realms of art in order to make their products more appealing: MAC collaborated with some of New York's hippest artists for its last fall collection, Donna Karan introduced a pop-art version of her fragrance Be Delicious, and Lipstick Queen, inspired by the same movement, launched its Fifteen Minutes of Fame Pop Art Glosses.
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Geeks who rocked the world: Documentary looks back at origins of the computer-games industry
Ukip's official health spokesperson: 'Honestly, I have no experience in health whatsoever'
Deliberately urinating before sex can increase risk of urinary tract infections
Broadmoor financial scandal: The £4m of NHS funds wasted at high-security hospital
- 1 Rowan Atkinson to sell £10 million McLaren 'supercar' he crashed into a tree and a lamppost
- 2 The truth about 'girl things': Three cheers for Heather Watson's honesty
- 3 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 4 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 5 Men behaving badly: Urinating while standing, 'manspreading' and the gendering of selfishness
Excellent Salary : Austen Lloyd: OXFORD - REGIONAL FIRM - An excellent opportu...
Super Package: Austen Lloyd: BRISTOL - SENIOR CLINICAL NEGLIGENCE - An outstan...
£15000 - £50000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Fantastic opportunities are ava...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Compute Engineer is required to join a globa...