Beauty continues love affair with modern art
Wednesday 03 February 2010
Prior to the launch of the first solo exhibition in the US dedicated to German artist Otto Dix, opening at New York's Neue Galerie in March, beauty brand Estée Lauder is releasing two limited-edition products inspired by his works.
According to style.com, a lipstick in "Berlin Red" paying tribute to the lipstick-wearing women in Dix's paintings (e.g., Dancer Anita Berber, Reclining Woman on Leopard Skin) and a Bauhaus-inspired compact mirror will go on sale exclusively at the museum shop of the Neue Galerie.
Estée Lauder's son Ronald started the museum together with art dealer Serge Sabarsky, which makes for a simple explanation for the collaboration.
However, it is interesting how beauty brands have increasingly been drawing on the realms of art in order to make their products more appealing: MAC collaborated with some of New York's hippest artists for its last fall collection, Donna Karan introduced a pop-art version of her fragrance Be Delicious, and Lipstick Queen, inspired by the same movement, launched its Fifteen Minutes of Fame Pop Art Glosses.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Poveglia: 'World's most haunted island' up for sale...is anyone brave enough to buy it?
- 2 The Hobbit: There and Back Again set for possible title change
- 3 Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy attacked as 'sinful'
- 4 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 5 Andre Johnson: Wu-Tang Clan-discovered rapper severed his penis and jumped from LA building
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company is a company that specializ...
£153.75 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company is an innovative outsourcin...
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company has been providing on site ...
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: We've been supplying best of breed peopl...