Ever wondered about your fragrance's carbon footprint?
Blue Marble Energy, a US organization committed to cutting carbon emissions, has teamed up with Seattle-based perfumery Sweet Anthem to create what it claims to be the first-ever carbon-free fragrance.
Staying true to its declared mission of replacing "oil with fully renewable, carbon neutral alternatives," Blue Marble commissioned the perfumers to use brewery waste - a not very appealing mix of "rancid beer grains, green algae and a 'sludge' consisting of 50,000 different kinds of bacteria" - instead of petroleum for its first fragrance, EOS.
Named after the Greek goddess of the dawn, the scent comes in both a feminine and a unisex version. EOS for Her is "a green bright floral, tea-based scent" and smells of tea rose, sandalwood, green tea, and banana, while the second edition is based on "citrus and cognac with hints of powdery apricot," with additional notes of white ginger and honeysuckle. The perfumes sell online for $30 each.
Eco-conscious beauty fans can find more natural fragrances on sites such as soorganic.com.
Life & Style blogs
Plus, do energy saving measures boost house prices?
The spring menswear season has only just begun, but I've already started to get deep and meaningful....
It's a bit Kraftwerky chez Christopher Kane - the first menswear shown for the spring 2014, images r...
The 10 Best Scotch Whiskies
Stair-climbing: A step change in keeping fit
Anatomy of a waiter: Service staff spill the secrets of their trade
Exposed: Edward Erin, the doctor whose faked asthma drug test results proved fatal
Government says internet companies are 'turning a blind eye' to online child abuse images as Maria Miller calls on Google, Yahoo and BT to take action
- 1 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 2 Charles Saatchi accepts caution for assault over incident in Scott’s restaurant when he put his hands on throat of wife Nigella Lawson
- 3 Anatomy of a waiter: Service staff spill the secrets of their trade
- 4 Exclusive: Cristiano Ronaldo advised to stay at Real Madrid for another 18 months before making possible switch to Manchester United
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
£32000 - £33000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
Negotiable Depending on Experience: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green R...
Excellent Salary Package: Austen Lloyd: We have an outstanding opportunity for...
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Room Leader NVQ Level ...