Ever wondered about your fragrance's carbon footprint?
Thursday 07 January 2010
Blue Marble Energy, a US organization committed to cutting carbon emissions, has teamed up with Seattle-based perfumery Sweet Anthem to create what it claims to be the first-ever carbon-free fragrance.
Staying true to its declared mission of replacing "oil with fully renewable, carbon neutral alternatives," Blue Marble commissioned the perfumers to use brewery waste - a not very appealing mix of "rancid beer grains, green algae and a 'sludge' consisting of 50,000 different kinds of bacteria" - instead of petroleum for its first fragrance, EOS.
Named after the Greek goddess of the dawn, the scent comes in both a feminine and a unisex version. EOS for Her is "a green bright floral, tea-based scent" and smells of tea rose, sandalwood, green tea, and banana, while the second edition is based on "citrus and cognac with hints of powdery apricot," with additional notes of white ginger and honeysuckle. The perfumes sell online for $30 each.
Eco-conscious beauty fans can find more natural fragrances on sites such as soorganic.com.
Life & Style blogs
GTA 5 Online DLC: San Andreas Flight School update brings 16-seater jet plane and more
What is ALS and the Ice Bucket Challenge?
David Beckham fronts the campaign for his underwear autumn/winter collection, which hit stores today
London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 4 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
£40 per day: Randstad Education Manchester: Nursery Nurse needed in salfordI a...
£25 per day: Randstad Education Manchester: Level 3 Nursery nurse needed in th...
£21588 - £31566 per annum: Randstad Education Cambridge: Randstad Education ar...
£110 - £125 per annum: Randstad Education Cambridge: Randstad Education are ur...