Ever wondered about your fragrance's carbon footprint?
Thursday 07 January 2010
Blue Marble Energy, a US organization committed to cutting carbon emissions, has teamed up with Seattle-based perfumery Sweet Anthem to create what it claims to be the first-ever carbon-free fragrance.
Staying true to its declared mission of replacing "oil with fully renewable, carbon neutral alternatives," Blue Marble commissioned the perfumers to use brewery waste - a not very appealing mix of "rancid beer grains, green algae and a 'sludge' consisting of 50,000 different kinds of bacteria" - instead of petroleum for its first fragrance, EOS.
Named after the Greek goddess of the dawn, the scent comes in both a feminine and a unisex version. EOS for Her is "a green bright floral, tea-based scent" and smells of tea rose, sandalwood, green tea, and banana, while the second edition is based on "citrus and cognac with hints of powdery apricot," with additional notes of white ginger and honeysuckle. The perfumes sell online for $30 each.
Eco-conscious beauty fans can find more natural fragrances on sites such as soorganic.com.
Life & Style blogs
Snapchat got rid of the Best Friends feature and 'stalkers' are upset
Virtual reality thrusts viewers into the frontline of global events - and puts film-goers at the heart of the action
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
Taylor Swift’s Twitter and Instagram accounts hacked, apparently by Lizard Squad
Doctors in the dock: Scandal of GPs who get cash from healthcare firms for patient referrals
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 3 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
£17000 - £23750 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Liverpool based international...
Negotiable: Tradewind Recruitment: This post arises as a result of the need to...
£120 - £150 per annum: Tradewind Recruitment: I am recruiting on instruction o...
£70000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Head of Finance - Financial Controller - Fina...