Fashion: Don't fade to grey - the 2013 look is black and white all over
You can't open a glossy magazine or go near a high-street store without realising that the spring/summer 2013 look is black and white all over. Monochrome was everywhere on the catwalks (see Marc Jacobs' take, pictured), and now Zara, H&M and co are packed to the rafters with the stuff.
All very well, but how the hell do you wash such contrary garments? Surely the white will go grey as soon as it gets in sight of a washing machine (the reason I never buy garments that are black and white at the same time)? The Independent's fashion desk rides to the rescue, suggesting either: 1) Use a colour-catching laundry sheet (either Bounce or Shout). 2) Try starch tablets to keep whites pearly. 3) Don't dry clean: it can make stark patterns murky. Or do as I'm going to, and stick to separates or shoes. That way there are no grey areas....
Life & Style blogs
The future of sex: The first female condoms were derided, mistrusted and shunned - but will their modern counterparts catch on?
Microsoft's Cortana (the rival to Apple's Siri) leaked online
Private school refuses to readmit anorexic pupil because her presence would be 'too disruptive to the rest of the year group,' mother claims
'It's brusquely intimate': A bereaved daughter tackles the task of emptying her father's flat
Study suggests that 'gaydars' are real - at least for women
- 1 The future of sex: The first female condoms were derided, mistrusted and shunned - but will their modern counterparts catch on?
- 2 South African rhino finally put down after roaming Kruger park for days with horn hacked off and bullet in brain
- 3 Sir Patrick Stewart patches into David Cameron and Barack Obama's Ukraine talks with packet of wet wipes
- 4 Study suggests that 'gaydars' are real - at least for women
- 5 Man stabbed with Legend of Zelda Master Sword in serious condition
£30000 - £50000 per annum + Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: Residenti...
£40k to £50k pa OTE £80k: Charter Selection: My client, a leading profitable a...
£46,141 to £51,816: NI Direct: The PPS is responsible for all prosecutions pre...
£50000 - £330000 per annum + Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: Resident...