Fashion: Heven sent route to stardom: The minimodel Kate Moss is now the face of Opium perfume. Marion Hume reports
Thursday 11 February 1993
She will not be ousting Lucie de la Falaise, her fellow teeny supermodel, who has been the face of Yves Saint Laurent's Paris fragrance since she was 16. But Opium is the big one. At its launch in 1977, the name alone was deemed so dangerous that the perfume was banned from New South Wales. The French crooner Charles Aznavour cut his Antipodean tour in protest. The first face for the fragrance was larger-than- life glamour girl Jerry Hall.
YSL gave Linda Evangelista this big campaign, and the big boost, so long ago she still had long hair. But only the print advertisement starring Ms Evangelista was shown outside France. The television commerical in which she went in search of a heady high in what looked like a real Opium den was deemed too risque to be shown elsewhere.
Three years ago the Spanish model Nastasia was the Opium girl. She looked just like Ingrid Bergman, which pleased the director David Lynch, who was then dating Bergman's daughter, Isabella Rossellini (who also looks just like Ingrid Bergman but, under contract as the face of competitor, Lancome, was unable to oblige.)
Ms Moss's print campaign has already been shot and the television commerical, to be directed by the Japanese director Satoshi, will be filmed at the end of the month. It is due to reach our screens this summer.
Life & Style blogs
Snapchat removed the Best Friends list feature and 'stalkers' are upset
Virtual reality thrusts viewers into the frontline of global events - and puts film-goers at the heart of the action
Fifty years of David Bowie's hairstyles in one animated gif
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
Eight-year-old girl Camilla Lisant suggests possible cure for cancer to her scientist father
- 1 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner's 'story': 'We support him no matter what, and I think when the time is right, he'll talk'
- 4 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 5 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
£22000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A PPC Executive/Manager is requ...
£55000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Service Delivery Manager - Retail / FMCG / WM...
£28000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Fundraising and Campaigns Off...
£21000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This centre seeks an experience...