Fashion Update: Hot tips for supermodels
Thursday 17 February 1994
These hard-luck tales of life at the top are just a taste of what's inside Arthur Elgort's Model Manual (see left), the Vogue photographer's how-to guide to modelling, launched this month in the US.
Printed in scrapbook format, Elgort, (the first photographer to spot Christy Turlington's potential), has compiled a jumble of 'off camera' snaps; snippets of conversations with model stars past and present, plus some pretty basic but indispensable bite-sized advice on what every aspiring model should know but rarely does: 'Don't be lazy. Don't complain. Learn to act like someone else, but also be yourself. Be on time.'
Designers, agents, editors and actresses all get a look-in. But the book is far from being hollow gloss - it's a refreshingly realistic view of a world that all too often trades in ego.
Life & Style blogs
Husband creates spreadsheet detailing wife's 'excuses' for turning down sex
UK pirates will get four warning letters a year
Apple has installed security backdoors on 600m iPhones and iPads, claims security researcher
Why do we have blood types?
Xiaomi Mi4: 'Chinese Apple' launches flagship mobile to challenge iPhone
- 1 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 2 Israel has discovered that it's no longer so easy to get away with murder in the age of social media
- 3 Israel-Gaza conflict: The myth of Hamas’s human shields
- 4 Amy Winehouse unpublished 2004 interview: ‘Ten years from now I’ll be 30, so I’ll maybe have one baby’
- 5 Dutch paedophile club to fight their ban at the European Court of Human Rights
£49000 - £55000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: My client is...
£48000 - £54000 per annum + Benefits package: Progressive Recruitment: My clie...
£35000 - £45000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: If you're pa...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: SAP Business...