Gaultier can-cans on the catwalk
Thursday 27 January 2011
The flamboyant French designer Jean Paul Gaultier channelled the spirit of the Moulin Rouge at his catwalk show in Paris yesterday.
The collection, which featured sumptuous and see-through gowns decorated with frothy tulle, was one of the final shows of the Haute Couture spring/summer 2011 season – a week renowned in the fashion calendar for showcasing the industry's most intricate and lavish designs. The show culminated in a model high-kicking her way down the catwalk in contemporary can-can regalia, and was a characteristically colourful affair, with models and the designer himself sporting dip-dyed mohawk wigs.
Gaultier, who is famous for dressing Madonna in pinstripe suits replete with conical bras, is known for his fashion flair – his previous couture show featured burlesque star Dita von Teese.
Other high fashion hi-jinks have included a Mexican mariachi band, and he has in the past asked famous models to do Irish jigs and walk their dogs along his catwalk.
Life & Style blogs
McDonald's is finally trialling all-day breakfast
Apple expands reuse and recycle scheme, letting Android phones be swapped for iPhones
Replica Back to the Future Hoverboard released
When did the Eiffel Tower open to the public? Six things you didn't know about iconic structure
Pacman Google Maps: company offers chance to play classic arcade game on real streets
- 1 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 2 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 3 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 4 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
- 5 A new (old) cure for MRSA? Revolting recipe from the Dark Ages may be key to defeat infection
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This leading supplier of compliance software a...
£24000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Associate System Engineer r...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: An Executive Assistant is required to join a l...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...