Gaultier can-cans on the catwalk
Thursday 27 January 2011
The flamboyant French designer Jean Paul Gaultier channelled the spirit of the Moulin Rouge at his catwalk show in Paris yesterday.
The collection, which featured sumptuous and see-through gowns decorated with frothy tulle, was one of the final shows of the Haute Couture spring/summer 2011 season – a week renowned in the fashion calendar for showcasing the industry's most intricate and lavish designs. The show culminated in a model high-kicking her way down the catwalk in contemporary can-can regalia, and was a characteristically colourful affair, with models and the designer himself sporting dip-dyed mohawk wigs.
Gaultier, who is famous for dressing Madonna in pinstripe suits replete with conical bras, is known for his fashion flair – his previous couture show featured burlesque star Dita von Teese.
Other high fashion hi-jinks have included a Mexican mariachi band, and he has in the past asked famous models to do Irish jigs and walk their dogs along his catwalk.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Alex Salmond: 'The rocks would melt with the sun before I'd ever set foot in the House of Lords'
- 5 Ice Bucket Challenge: US firefighter Tony Grider dies after participating in charity craze near power lines
£70000 - £80000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Group Head of Marketing and Communic...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: Level 3 Nursery Nurse required for ...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: L3 Nursery Nurses urgently required...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: We have a number of schools based S...