Gaultier can-cans on the catwalk
Thursday 27 January 2011
The flamboyant French designer Jean Paul Gaultier channelled the spirit of the Moulin Rouge at his catwalk show in Paris yesterday.
The collection, which featured sumptuous and see-through gowns decorated with frothy tulle, was one of the final shows of the Haute Couture spring/summer 2011 season – a week renowned in the fashion calendar for showcasing the industry's most intricate and lavish designs. The show culminated in a model high-kicking her way down the catwalk in contemporary can-can regalia, and was a characteristically colourful affair, with models and the designer himself sporting dip-dyed mohawk wigs.
Gaultier, who is famous for dressing Madonna in pinstripe suits replete with conical bras, is known for his fashion flair – his previous couture show featured burlesque star Dita von Teese.
Other high fashion hi-jinks have included a Mexican mariachi band, and he has in the past asked famous models to do Irish jigs and walk their dogs along his catwalk.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£80000 - £100000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Project Manag...
£50000 - £60000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Business Analy...
£33000 per annum + benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Audit Senior - Leeds If y...
£50000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits : Harrington Starr: Senior Automation QA ...