Jean-Paul Gaultier to launch lingerie line
Thursday 04 August 2011
Jean-Paul Gaultier is launching a lingerie line. The French designer - famed for developing Madonna's Conical bra for her 1990 Blonde Ambition Tour - has developed a "provocative" lingerie collection Italian brand La Perla.
He told Wedding Style magazine the collaboration "was bound to happen", adding: "Lingerie is part of my DNA: I have always used it in my collections. With La Perla, I have found a perfect partner."
The designer added the collection will continue to enforce his strong view of female empowerment. He added: "I would like to give women freedom to be who they are. I personally think women are the stronger sex; that they are more intelligent and much stronger than us men, and I always wanted to show a strong woman who seduces because she wants to."
Jean-Paul also recently opened retrospective of his work at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts in Canada, where he admitted he made his first designs of his iconic bra for his stuffed toys. He said: "I made my first cone-shaped bra out of newsprint for my teddy bear Nana. I was always alone, doing my own story. It was my world, one in which I was very happy, dressing my teddy bear."
Jean-Paul's underwear collection will be sold at La Perla and Jean-Paul Gaultier boutiques across the world.
Life & Style blogs
Blood test that predicts Alzheimer's disease
Pakistan vs Paul Smith: Sandal-wearers bemused by famed British designer's attempts to sell traditional Peshawari chappal-style shoes for the distinctly untraditional sum of £300
Lego told off by 7-year-old girl for promoting gender stereotypes
Mapping the tubes: The hidden world of undersea cables that make up the internet
Titanfall: Release date, gameplay basics, DLC and everything else you need to know
- 1 Bad cattitude: Family call police after crazed and 'hostile cat with a history of violence' attacks baby before attempting to 'flee custody'
- 2 Family forced to flee home after discovering 'terrifying' nest of spiders in bananas
- 3 First Kiss: Filmmaker gets 20 strangers to make out on YouTube with awkward results
- 4 Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 5 Bob Crow death: 'Admired by his members, feared by employers' - Tributes pour in for RMT union leader and 'working class hero' Bob Crow
£20000 - £25000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: One of the largest mobile advert...
£20000 - £23000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: Our client specialises in creati...
£30000 - £50000 per annum + Very Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: Private Cli...
£30000 - £35000 per annum + Very Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: Residential...