London beauty brand to sign three ethnic models
Thursday 22 October 2009
Women's Wear Daily reports that after announcing that models Georgia Jagger and Coco Rocha will appear in next year's Rimmel London ads, the label will also tap three ethnic models for its campaign.
The move represents a PR-effective decision since Rimmel's line-up mainly consists of classic English beauties such as Lily Cole, Sophie Ellis-Bextor or Kate Moss. The beauty industry, even more so than fashion, is often criticized for discriminating against ethnic models.
"We needed a wider palette of faces to show the makeup results of our new products," Stephen Mormoris of Coty Beauty, which owns Rimmel, told the paper.
"Rimmel embodies the London look, which is very resonant with young people all over the world who look to London as a center of multiculturalism and freedom of expression."
Jagger, who Mormoris says was chosen for being "edgy and experimental" appeared in a controversial campaign for Hudson Jeans earlier this year, which many found too provocative for her young age.
Life & Style blogs
Revenge porn: What is it – and how big is the problem?
Paris Fashion Week: Karl Lagerfeld leads a feminist riot on 'Boulevard Chanel'
Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks
Windows 10: Microsoft bypasses 'Windows 9' to unveil new operating system
The Fappening: After the third wave of leaked celebrity photos, why can't we stop it?
- 1 Green village to be bulldozed and mined for lignite in Germany's quest for non-nuclear fuel
- 2 HeForShe campaign: Iceland to follow up Emma Watson speech with UN women's rights conference – for men only
- 3 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 4 Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks
- 5 Now we know whose fault it is if you end up being murdered in Thailand
- < Previous
- Next >
£40000 - £50000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£100 - £105 per day + plus Travel Scheme: Randstad Education Cardiff: The Job:...
£100 - £125 per day: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Would you like to work in ...
£50 per day: Randstad Education Cheshire: SEN Teaching Assistant EBD , Septemb...