London beauty brand to sign three ethnic models
Thursday 22 October 2009
Women's Wear Daily reports that after announcing that models Georgia Jagger and Coco Rocha will appear in next year's Rimmel London ads, the label will also tap three ethnic models for its campaign.
The move represents a PR-effective decision since Rimmel's line-up mainly consists of classic English beauties such as Lily Cole, Sophie Ellis-Bextor or Kate Moss. The beauty industry, even more so than fashion, is often criticized for discriminating against ethnic models.
"We needed a wider palette of faces to show the makeup results of our new products," Stephen Mormoris of Coty Beauty, which owns Rimmel, told the paper.
"Rimmel embodies the London look, which is very resonant with young people all over the world who look to London as a center of multiculturalism and freedom of expression."
Jagger, who Mormoris says was chosen for being "edgy and experimental" appeared in a controversial campaign for Hudson Jeans earlier this year, which many found too provocative for her young age.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 The future of sex: The first female condoms were derided, mistrusted and shunned - but will their modern counterparts catch on?
- 2 South African rhino finally put down after roaming Kruger park for days with horn hacked off and bullet in brain
- 3 Italian pensioner hires an escort who turns out to be his son's girlfriend
- 4 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role to marry Natasha Richardson
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: A small but growing chain of boutique hot...
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: The company works with Tier 1 FTSE 100 Ba...
£45 - 60k Per Annum: Charter Selection: Highly profitable leisure brand, marke...
£30000 - £50000 per annum + Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: Residenti...