Needles at the ready for the The Seven Year Stitch
So you want to make like Marilyn Monroe? You don't need to start a hot and heavy affair with a president nor hit the (bleach) bottle. What you need is a needle and thread, some slinky white fabric and a copy of a new book, Sew Iconic: How to Make 10 Classic Hollywood Dresses by Liz Llewellyn (A&C Visual Arts, £14.99).
OK, so I can't really imagine Ms Monroe getting busy with a sewing box, but if you fancy recreating the famously floaty frock she sported in The Seven Year Itch, this book, which comes with a disc of patterns, is for you.
Other tinsel-town gowns in the book include the LBD worn by Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's, and the other classiest bit of hooker chic ever to be immortalised on celluloid, the brown and white spotted dress from Pretty Woman. There's also Jennifer Grey's "mambo" dress from Dirty Dancing.
The word from early reviews is you'll need some proficiency with a needle, but I can't think of a better reason to brush up on backstitch.
Life & Style blogs
McDonald's is finally trialling all-day breakfast
Apple expands reuse and recycle scheme, letting Android phones be swapped for iPhones
Replica Back to the Future Hoverboard released
When did the Eiffel Tower open to the public? Six things you didn't know about iconic structure
Contents of women's handbags can be worth more than a small car
- 1 Replica Back to the Future Hoverboard released
- 2 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 3 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 4 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
- 5 A new (old) cure for MRSA? Revolting recipe from the Dark Ages may be key to defeat infection
£45000 - £50000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...
£35000 - £37000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: We are 'Changemakers in retail'...
£25000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This fast growing digital agenc...
£50000 - £100000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a newly-created partne...