One small step for a shoe designer Christian Louboutin, one giant leap into the history books
Shoe designer Christian Louboutin celebrated his twentieth year in business yesterday with the launch of a retrospective exhibition at London's Design Museum.
Louboutin, 49, is heralded as one of the fashion industry's visionaries when it comes to footwear, having made his mark on the red carpet and high street alike with his conspicuous and characteristic red lacquered sole, which be found peeping out from underfoot in many a paparazzi shot.
The idea came to him in 1993, as he inspected a prototype and found it lacking. A nearby assistant, painting her nails crimson, inspired him to re-colour the sole that colour – a trick that has worked both as a marketing device and a design signature. Over the years, Louboutin has battled various other labels (most recently, Yves Saint Laurent) for copyright terms of this, his most famous element.
Louboutin finds inspiration in everything from extoic dancers to exotic travel, incorporating elements of burlesque and unashamed feminine glamour.
Life & Style blogs
NHS hospitals told not to fill vacancies as cash crisis bites
Porn block in India: hundreds of sexual websites banned, internet outraged
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
Phone batteries can be used to spy on their owners and track them around the internet
- 1 Sabrina Corgatelli: US hunting tourist posts picture of herself with dead giraffe after Cecil the lion outrage
- 2 Tom Cruise: Reporters banned from asking actor about Scientology
- 3 A-level results 2015: UK exam board OCR admits it 'estimates' hundreds of pupils' grades after papers 'go missing'
- 4 Dutch King Willem-Alexander declares the end of the welfare state
- 5 Giant Minion terrorises drivers in Ireland as 40ft inflatable blocks traffic on Dublin road
£20000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an intermediate help de...
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This specialist personal injury...
£20000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Join a fast growing, UK based I...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: An experienced TLO is required to manage, deli...