One small step for a shoe designer Christian Louboutin, one giant leap into the history books
Shoe designer Christian Louboutin celebrated his twentieth year in business yesterday with the launch of a retrospective exhibition at London's Design Museum.
Louboutin, 49, is heralded as one of the fashion industry's visionaries when it comes to footwear, having made his mark on the red carpet and high street alike with his conspicuous and characteristic red lacquered sole, which be found peeping out from underfoot in many a paparazzi shot.
The idea came to him in 1993, as he inspected a prototype and found it lacking. A nearby assistant, painting her nails crimson, inspired him to re-colour the sole that colour – a trick that has worked both as a marketing device and a design signature. Over the years, Louboutin has battled various other labels (most recently, Yves Saint Laurent) for copyright terms of this, his most famous element.
Louboutin finds inspiration in everything from extoic dancers to exotic travel, incorporating elements of burlesque and unashamed feminine glamour.
Newcastle manager taunted again as his side loses to Stoke
Life & Style blogs
Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks
The Fappening: After the third wave of leaked celebrity photos, why can't we stop it?
iOS 8: how to free up memory on your iPhone or iPad to install the update
The truth about student sex workers: it's far from Belle Du Jour
France announces world’s toughest anti-smoking laws
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 3 The Simpsons death: Creator Al Jean would 'kill himself' before a character like Homer or Lisa
- 4 British man raped while urinating in bushes at Oktoberfest beer festival in Germany
- 5 Pope Francis assures atheists: You don’t have to believe in God to go to heaven
- < Previous
- Next >
NEGOTIABLE: Austen Lloyd: TRUST ACCOUNTANT - KENTIf you are a Chartered Accou...
£85 - £120 per day: Randstad Education Cheshire: randstad education are curre...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Group: You must:- Speak English as a first lang...
£17000 - £18000 per annum: Randstad Education Group: If you are a committed Te...