Oscars 2014 red carpet fashion: Liza Minnelli, Lupita Nyong'o and the biggest hits and misses of the evening
See the best - and worst - dressed of the 2014 Academy Awards
Monday 03 March 2014
So, the actual awards part of the Oscars was fairly predictable.
But the one aspect that never fails to surprise us is who ends up donning the most talked-about red carpet outfit of the evening.
And by far the most shared, tweeted, discussed ensemble at the Oscars 2014 wasn’t worn by an up-and-coming, fresh-faced young actress but instead by a 67-year-old musical legend.
Yes, Liza Minnelli’s electric blue suit caused a stir, thanks to her lack of underwear – and subsequent ‘wardrobe malfunction’ that she suffered as a result.
The second? Probably Pharrell Williams. No, not the hat this time as at the Grammys, but instead the questionable Lanvin tuxedo jacket and shorts combination. In fact, those shorts became so popular, they spawned their own Twitter account.
Then there were the plain stunners – the actresses women wanted to be and men wanted to be with. Lupita Nyong'o dazzled in a voluminous Prada gown, while Meryl Streep’s sophisticated off-the shoulder Lanvin gown wowed the crowds lining the red carpet.
Want to know who the fashion desk rated as the biggest hits and misses of the evening? Click through the gallery above to find out.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Woman 'suffocates newborn baby in plastic bag and puts it in her desk minutes after giving birth'
- 2 I've been called an abusive and dangerous parent, when all I did was listen to my transgender child
- 3 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 4 Teaching profession headed for crisis as numbers continue to drop and working lives become 'unbearable'
- 5 Chinese student carries disabled friend to school every day for three years
£26000 - £28000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: Senior Accounts Assistan...
£24000 - £26000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...
£22000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company is part of a Group...
£16000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you a a young, dynamic pers...