Paris designers react to burka ban
Wednesday 10 March 2010
French designers showing at Paris fashion week, including Jean-Charles de Castelbajac and Marithé François Girbaud, presented burka-inspired designs as part of their collections.
Following a heated debate in the country regarding a planned ban of the full-face veil, models paraded down the runway at both shows wearing burka-inspired, face-covering designs.
Marithé François Girbaud used the clearest references, combining floor-lenth, face-obscuring veils with their outfits.
Jean-Charles de Castelbajac went for modern interpretations of the face veil, pairing hats with viewing windows with his sometimes cartoonesque creations, which were inspired by the Middle Ages - a fact that is not likely to help supporters of the burka.
The burka, often considered a symbol of female oppression and one of dated Muslim tradition, previously inspired Givenchy's fall/winter 2009 show, where creative director Riccardo Tisci presented harem pants, black hoods, and ornamented face veils.
A ban of the burka in France has been debated since last year, causing Paris women's rights activists Ni Putes ni Soumises to demonstrate on International Women's Day.
According to the Financial Times, the planned legislation has been backed by other European countries including Germany and the UK.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Three of Pope Francis' relatives die in Argentina car crash, including two young great-nephews
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad with Jager and potatoes for vodka as campsite opens tomorrow
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
£30000 - £33000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Junior DBA (SQ...
£60000 - £75000 per annum + BONUS + BENEFITS: Harrington Starr: Business Anal...
£60000 - £90000 per annum + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Global leading Energy Tra...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + BONUS + BENEFITS: Harrington Starr: CXL, Triple Po...