Parties: In fashion fantasyland
Sunday 09 November 2008
A menagerie of animal sculptures and a cartoon-like television housing a DJ booth are not what one might expect to find in a church, but set designer Shona Heath's transformation of Sir John Soanes's Holy Trinity in Marylebone on 3 November made for a suitably surreal setting for Vogue and fine-jeweller Van Cleef & Arples' "Fantastic Fashion Fantasy" party.
It was home from home for model-slash-toyshop-owner Jasmine Guinness, who confided that she has a flutter of Heath-designed butterflies in her own house, and feeling similarly comfortable were the enfants terribles of London design Henry Holland and Dr Noki, at the Atkins-friendly charcuterie bar. Claudia Schiffer seemed less chez elle, however, and after chatting to stylist Bay Garnett, retired to her west London pad.
Disinclined to such an early bedtime was rock progeny du jour Georgia-May Jagger. Du jour? Maybe – "Who's the brat?" hissed one guest as she jostled past him. But, as another observed, it must be hard not to be pouty when you've inherited Mick's lips.
Partying through the pain was model Erin O'Connor. Sporting sensible flats due to a twisted knee, she took bets on who'd be the first to climb astride a giant model stallion.
As Vogue editor Alexandra Shulman saw off departing guests, she revealed that the date set for the party had been changed to avoid a clash with the US election. Reassuring to know that even the glitterati realise some things are more important than fashion.
Life & Style blogs
Men in crop tops seem to be trending thanks to Kid Cudi, the social media and the catwalk
What is ALS and the Ice Bucket Challenge?
How processed food makes you eat more
Greggs Google fail: bakery falls afoul of search engine's algorithms with 'unofficial' logo
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
- 1 Three of Pope Francis' relatives die in Argentina car crash, including two young great-nephews
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad with Jager and potatoes for vodka as campsite opens tomorrow
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
£700 per day: Harrington Starr: Quantitative Developer C++, Python, STL, R, PD...
£30000 - £44000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Web deve...
£40000 - £65000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: Senior A...
£35000 - £45000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: Web deve...