SHARPENING UP SAVILE ROW
Tuesday 05 December 1995
Designed by Paul Brady - the man responsible for Kartouche's decor - the shop houses an off-the-peg department, a wholesale area and a bespoke workshop where men with a taste for brighter suits than those traditionally offered by Savile Row can be kitted out according to their precise body measurements. In fact, he's the second modern colourist to arrive recently: Richard James, who does a nice line in bright or sombre tweed, is now at 31 Savile Row.
Boateng's shop mirrors his tailoring style. His traditional technique and cutting skills are juxtaposed against vibrant colours: in the shop rich red velvet is displayed against a background of warm wood.
Boateng's clients include Lenny Henry, Seal, Spike Lee and veteran rocker Jimmy Page (you can tell from the cut and the colour of the suits). Boateng's press officer (even Savile Row has press officers these days) also claims MPs and retired colonels among the client list. But true to the Row's long tradition, client names are kept confidential.
Prices: off the peg from pounds 500, bespoke pounds 1,300-pounds 2,000.
Life & Style blogs
Not brushing your teeth can lead to dementia and heart disease
Charlie Charlie Challenge: everyone on the internet thinks it’s a marketing stunt, but it probably isn’t
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
Spanish restaurant El Celler de Can Roca reclaims top spot to be named world's best restaurant
Windows 10: apps and features killed off as Microsoft reveals limits of new operating system
- 1 Caitlyn Jenner's mother Ester thought her daughter, formerly known as Bruce Jenner, had transitioned for money
- 2 Charles Kennedy 1959-2015: A gifted, compassionate politician whose career was cut short by the 'demon drink' - latest news
- 3 Alton Towers crash: Four seriously injured and 16 guests trapped as Smiler ride carriages collide
- 4 Ann Summers survey reveals the UK's favourite sex position
- 5 Gay teenager 'forced to have sex with his own mother' to 'cure' his homosexuality, campaigners in India say
£35000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company is a solutions / s...
£18000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Sales Executive is required t...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you inspired to bring new a...
£14000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...