Travel site names top ten spas worldwide
Thursday 14 January 2010
Independent travel review site TripAdvisor has released a list of its community's ten top-ranked hotel spas around the globe, with destinations ranging from Italy to Mexico.
Weather-wise, the UK is obviously not very fortunate when it comes to attracting tourists, so it makes sense that three of the ten listed indoor oases are located here: the Chewton Glen in New Milton, England, which specializes in holistic treatments (and also has a wide range of 'wedding treatments' available), the Four Seasons in Hampshire, England, with its massages inspired by countries around the world and its men-specific treatments, as well as the Balmoral in Edinburgh that features Finnish as well as Turkish saunas, are all part of the list. The latter recently also won the Condé Nast Traveller Readers' Spa Awards.
In mainland Europe, it was Ritz Carlton's Barcelona Arts Hotel that enchanted guests with stunning views from the sauna and innovative color therapies as well as an ice fountain to get the circulation going. Italy booked two winners, the Fonteverde Natural Spa Resort in San Casciano dei Bagni, which with therapeutic pools and inhalation therapies takes a more medical approach, and the Adler Thermae Spa Resort in San Quirico d'Orcia, which offers all the spa classics including hot stone massages, algae treatments, and mud wraps.
The Banyan Tree resort in the Maldives additionally incorporates yoga practices.
Here is the complete top ten list of spas on tripadvisor.com, based on the votes of its reviewers:
1. Banyan Tree Maldives, Vabbinfaru, Maldives
2. La Casa Que Canta, Zihuatanejo, Mexico
3. Fonteverde Natural Spa Resort, San Casciano dei Bagni, Italy
4. Dorint Maison Messmer, Baden-Baden, Germany
5. Hotel Arts Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
6. Adler Thermae Spa Resort, San Quirico d'Orcia, Italy
7. The Balmoral Hotel, Edinburgh, Scotland
8. Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa, New Milton, England
9. Four Seasons Hotel, Hampshire, England
10. Badrutt's Palace Hotel, St. Moritz, Switzerland
The Microsoft mogul told fans a few home truths during his Reddit AMA
Life & Style blogs
Office plants computer chips under workers’ skin instead of ID cards
Snapchat removed the Best Friends list feature and 'stalkers' are upset
Baldness could soon be treated using stem cells, scientists hope
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
Eight-year-old girl Camilla Lisant suggests possible cancer treatment to her scientist father over the dinner table
- 1 Woman falls to her death as she celebrates marriage proposal at the edge of Ibiza cliff
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Dad attempts revenge on teenage daughter, plan backfires spectacularly
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
£90 - £140 per day: Tradewind Recruitment: I am currently working in partnersh...
£100 - £150 per day: Tradewind Recruitment: Year 3 Teacher Birmingham Jan 2015...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + Excellent benefits: Ashdown Group: Lead Web Develo...
£21000 - £40000 per annum + Negotiable: Tradewind Recruitment: Key Stage 2 tea...