Travel site names top ten spas worldwide
Thursday 14 January 2010
Independent travel review site TripAdvisor has released a list of its community's ten top-ranked hotel spas around the globe, with destinations ranging from Italy to Mexico.
Weather-wise, the UK is obviously not very fortunate when it comes to attracting tourists, so it makes sense that three of the ten listed indoor oases are located here: the Chewton Glen in New Milton, England, which specializes in holistic treatments (and also has a wide range of 'wedding treatments' available), the Four Seasons in Hampshire, England, with its massages inspired by countries around the world and its men-specific treatments, as well as the Balmoral in Edinburgh that features Finnish as well as Turkish saunas, are all part of the list. The latter recently also won the Condé Nast Traveller Readers' Spa Awards.
In mainland Europe, it was Ritz Carlton's Barcelona Arts Hotel that enchanted guests with stunning views from the sauna and innovative color therapies as well as an ice fountain to get the circulation going. Italy booked two winners, the Fonteverde Natural Spa Resort in San Casciano dei Bagni, which with therapeutic pools and inhalation therapies takes a more medical approach, and the Adler Thermae Spa Resort in San Quirico d'Orcia, which offers all the spa classics including hot stone massages, algae treatments, and mud wraps.
The Banyan Tree resort in the Maldives additionally incorporates yoga practices.
Here is the complete top ten list of spas on tripadvisor.com, based on the votes of its reviewers:
1. Banyan Tree Maldives, Vabbinfaru, Maldives
2. La Casa Que Canta, Zihuatanejo, Mexico
3. Fonteverde Natural Spa Resort, San Casciano dei Bagni, Italy
4. Dorint Maison Messmer, Baden-Baden, Germany
5. Hotel Arts Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
6. Adler Thermae Spa Resort, San Quirico d'Orcia, Italy
7. The Balmoral Hotel, Edinburgh, Scotland
8. Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa, New Milton, England
9. Four Seasons Hotel, Hampshire, England
10. Badrutt's Palace Hotel, St. Moritz, Switzerland
Life & Style blogs
When did the Eiffel Tower open to the public? Six things you didn't know about iconic structure
Pacman Google Maps: company offers chance to play classic arcade game on real streets
Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
Worst time to be a parent revealed: Dinner, baths and bed time push stress levels to peak
American Apparel gets another ad banned by advertising watchdog for sexualising children
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Trevor Noah: Jon Stewart's replacement faces online criticism over 'anti-Semitic' tweets
- 3 Martha Stewart accuses Snoop Dogg of 'smoking for four hours' during Justin Bieber Roast
- 4 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
- 5 Syrian child photographed 'surrendering to camera because she thought it was a gun'
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This leading supplier of compliance software a...
£24000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Associate System Engineer r...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: An Executive Assistant is required to join a l...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...