Versace returns to haute couture
Monday 23 January 2012
Donatella Versace climbed Mount Olympus for inspiration in the opening show of Paris' spring-summer haute couture week, and was in top form after an eight-year hiatus.
Gold metal discs sculpted the busts and accentuated the hips as models with slinked down 13 shimmering steps at the grand salon of the Ecole des Beaux-Arts, the acclaimed Left Bank school.
The show marked the designer's return to haute couture week, with the Atelier Versace brand reportedly capitalizing on profits from last year's lucrative collaboration with mass market fashion retailer H&M.
The clothes were pure Grecian drama. A yellow mini-dress with laser-cut silk satin sparkled with the help of Swarovski crystals.
The summer palette was served up in silvers, oranges and acid green. One goddess pearl gray evening gown made in Chantilly lace dazzled as the music climaxed with an aria from Tosca, sung by Greek legend Maria Callas.
Versace classics were revisited and given an Aphrodite-like twist, such as the leather biker jacket and sexy shorts with gold metallic gussets.
Gasps of delight came from the crowd, which included US and French Vogue editors Anna Wintour and Emanuelle Alt as well as actresses Cameron Diaz and Diane Kruger.
"I loved it. It was so sexy, so typically Versace. I'm looking myself to see if I can get one," Kruger said after the show.
That means fashionistas can look for one of the numbers on a red carpet in the not-too-distant future.
Olympic diver has made his modelling debut for Adidas
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained star's white boyfriend Brian Lucas confirms LAPD internally investigating 'racist' detainment
- 2 Isis release 'Flames of War' video warning Obama of attacks troops could face in Iraq
- 3 Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 4 Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 5 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time: 'That was the lowest I'd ever felt'
£110 - £200 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Maths Teacher for spe...
£90 - £160 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Science Teacher (mater...
£110 - £200 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Maths Teacher for an ...
£22000 - £37000 per annum: Randstad Education Leeds: A West Yorkshire School i...