Wedding dress claim denied by McQueen label
A spokesman for the Alexander McQueen fashion label has denied claims that its creative director Sarah Burton is to design Kate Middleton's wedding dress.
A source close to Burton said: "It's not true." A story in The Sunday Times had claimed that Jonathan Akeroyd, head of the McQueen label, had told one of his colleagues that Burton had been commissioned by the bride-to-be, but Mr Akeroyd denied that this happened.
Burton, who worked with McQueen for 14 years before his death in February last year, has seen her profile soar over the past six months. Most recently she was responsible for the red, poppy-print ballgown worn by First Lady Michelle Obama to the White House state dinner honouring the visiting Chinese President, Hu Jintao.
For Ms Middleton to have worn a McQueen design to her wedding would have been massively out of character, as she is known for her relatively low-key and some-would-say anonymous dress sense.
Other names who have so far been mentioned include Bruce Oldfield – who was the favourite designer of Prince William's mother Diana, Princess of Wales – as well as Phillipa Lepley and Alice Temperley.
Life & Style blogs
Astrological signs are almost all wrong, as movement of moon and sun throws out zodiac
NHS property sale could raise £7.5bn to help pay off its growing deficit and free up space for housing
China accused of launching four-day cyber attack on US coding website GitHub
Gay marriage, one year on: Couples mark first anniversary of same-sex marriages
Robert Parker interview: The world's top wine critic on tasting 10,000 bottles a year, absurd drinking notes and New World wannabes
- 1 East 17 bandmember Brian Harvey in 'very desperate situation’
- 2 Germanwings plane crash: Video shows co-pilot Andreas Lubitz learning to fly as a teenager
- 3 Vladimir Putin says Russia will fight for the right of Palestinians to their own state
- 4 Germanwings crash: Captain of doomed plane was only 'on board because he changed job to spend more time with his children'
- 5 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Client Services Assistant is ...
£20000 - £100000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an excellent opportuni...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Duty Manager is required to join one of the ...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Team Leader is required to join one of the l...