Oscar de la Renta launches huge Facebook campaign for first fragrance in ten years
Friday 01 April 2011
America's master of big-impact gowns Oscar de la Renta is readying the release of his first perfume in a decade, Esprit d'Oscar, via social media.
Thanks to his label's ingenious "Oscar PR Girl" (who also operates a very successful Tumblr blog), traditional media are almost entirely skipped in the promotional strategy, which instead is informing fans directly via Facebook and giving away free samples to everyone who "likes" the page in the runup to the launch mid-April.
In the past, social media approaches were taken to promote Yves Saint Laurent's Belle d'Opium or, famously, Old Spice, but de la Renta has taken prestige beauty democracy to another level with his generous freebies and relatable PR girl who users follow just like they would a personal fashion blogger. The campaign has attracted 120,000 fans so far.
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Regin: Newly uncovered malicious software snooping since 2008 'was developed by a nation state'
The food fad that's starving Bolivia
Kim Kardashian recreates iconic Jean-Paul Goude naked 'Champagne Incident' photo
Henri de Toulouse Lautrec: Google celebrates 150th anniversary of French artist with Doodle
- 1 Universities aren't working us hard enough, say undergraduates
- 2 Lego letter from the 1970s still offers a powerful message to parents 40 years later
- 3 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
£45000 - £50000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This an exciting opportunity to...
£28000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Lift Engineer is required to jo...
£24000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company (Microsoft World W...