Oscar de la Renta launches huge Facebook campaign for first fragrance in ten years
Friday 01 April 2011
America's master of big-impact gowns Oscar de la Renta is readying the release of his first perfume in a decade, Esprit d'Oscar, via social media.
Thanks to his label's ingenious "Oscar PR Girl" (who also operates a very successful Tumblr blog), traditional media are almost entirely skipped in the promotional strategy, which instead is informing fans directly via Facebook and giving away free samples to everyone who "likes" the page in the runup to the launch mid-April.
In the past, social media approaches were taken to promote Yves Saint Laurent's Belle d'Opium or, famously, Old Spice, but de la Renta has taken prestige beauty democracy to another level with his generous freebies and relatable PR girl who users follow just like they would a personal fashion blogger. The campaign has attracted 120,000 fans so far.
Life & Style blogs
10 ways we damage our teeth – without realising
'Cheeky' Nando's under fire for apparently coming onto a customer on Twitter
Facebook Messenger sends 'creepily' precise location data, as revealed by Marauders Map Chrome extension
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
iPhone 'effective power' text: how to be safe from iOS bug that lets people crash your phone
- 1 'Cheeky' Nando's under fire for apparently coming onto a customer on Twitter
- 2 Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
- 3 Playboy model April Summers speaks out about being a victim of revenge porn
- 4 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 5 iPhone 'effective power' text: how to be safe from iOS bug that lets people crash your phone
£16500 - £18500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the leading Mercedes-Ben...
£27500 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£19500 - £23500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Experienced B2B Telemarketer wa...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This global company are looking for two Showro...