Perfume flacon sells at auction for €45,600
Wednesday 02 June 2010
According to a local newspaper, an engraved Guerlain bottle from 1870 fetched the record sum of €45,600 at an auction in the city of Arcachon, in the southwest of France.
Sued Ouest reported on June 1 that the flacon, engraved with the house's original address, Rue de la Paix, was initially expected to fetch €20,000 to €30,000.
Organized by Arcachon auction house Toledano, the sale took place in the presence of French fragrance expert Bernard Gangler, who also said that another less known perfume flacon, Depinoix by Julien Viard (from 1920), broke a "world record," fetching €32,400.
According to the auctioneers, 80 percent of bidders for the more than 250 perfume bottles under the hammer were French. Exceptions included participants from Russia, India, and China, who called in via telephone.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Apple has installed security backdoors on 600m iPhones and iPads, claims security researcher
- 2 UK pirates will get four warning letters a year
- 3 Fight Club 2: Chuck Palahniuk sequel is a 'meta-fictional comment on the cultural response to the original'
- 4 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 5 Israel-Gaza conflict: Deadly flechette shells 'used by Israeli military in Gaza Strip’
Competitive: The Green Recruitment Company: Job Title: Scheme Manager (BREEAM)...
Flexible, depending on experience: The Green Recruitment Company: Job Title: T...
£850 - £950 per day: Orgtel: Programme Director - Conduct Risk - Banking - £85...
£100 - £110 per day: Orgtel: Project Coordinator/Order Entry Hampshire