Perfume flacon sells at auction for €45,600
Wednesday 02 June 2010
According to a local newspaper, an engraved Guerlain bottle from 1870 fetched the record sum of €45,600 at an auction in the city of Arcachon, in the southwest of France.
Sued Ouest reported on June 1 that the flacon, engraved with the house's original address, Rue de la Paix, was initially expected to fetch €20,000 to €30,000.
Organized by Arcachon auction house Toledano, the sale took place in the presence of French fragrance expert Bernard Gangler, who also said that another less known perfume flacon, Depinoix by Julien Viard (from 1920), broke a "world record," fetching €32,400.
According to the auctioneers, 80 percent of bidders for the more than 250 perfume bottles under the hammer were French. Exceptions included participants from Russia, India, and China, who called in via telephone.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To support their continued grow...
£22000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They are the go-to company for ...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join the UK's leadin...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This caravan dealership are currently recruiti...