Perfume flacon sells at auction for €45,600
Wednesday 02 June 2010
According to a local newspaper, an engraved Guerlain bottle from 1870 fetched the record sum of €45,600 at an auction in the city of Arcachon, in the southwest of France.
Sued Ouest reported on June 1 that the flacon, engraved with the house's original address, Rue de la Paix, was initially expected to fetch €20,000 to €30,000.
Organized by Arcachon auction house Toledano, the sale took place in the presence of French fragrance expert Bernard Gangler, who also said that another less known perfume flacon, Depinoix by Julien Viard (from 1920), broke a "world record," fetching €32,400.
According to the auctioneers, 80 percent of bidders for the more than 250 perfume bottles under the hammer were French. Exceptions included participants from Russia, India, and China, who called in via telephone.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 The difference between a migrant and refugee, in one sentence
- 2 Miley Cyrus calls out hypocrisy of women’s nipples being taboo
- 3 Celebrity Big Brother 2015: Tila Tequila kicked off show after 'describing Hitler as a good man'
- 4 Watch the Supermoon live: How to see the brightest Moon of the year tonight
- 5 iPhone 5c to be discontinued, no iPhone 6c to replace it
£18000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Sales Executive or Senior Sal...
£40000 - £55000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This industry leading company produces h...
£20000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This IT provider for the educat...