Princess Diana's dresses to be auctioned in Canada
Wednesday 06 April 2011
The blue silk velvet dress Princess Diana wore at a 1985 White House dinner and famously danced in with actor John Travolta will be offered for sale along with other gowns, a Canadian auction house said Tuesday.
Waddington's auction house has scheduled a sale June 23 for 14 gowns selected or commissioned by the Princess of Wales between 1985 and 1994 from British designers Catherine Walker, Bruce Oldfield and Zandra Rhodes.
Florida entrepreneur Maureen Rorech Dunkel reportedly paid $700,000 in 1997 for the silk, satin, velvet and embroidered formal dinner and evening dresses at an auction to raise money for Diana's humanitarian causes.
Following Diana's death, they toured three continents, spent a decade on loan to Kensington Palace as part of the royal ceremonial dress collection, and were displayed at a Hard Rock hotel and Walt Disney World in Florida.
The collection includes dresses worn by Diana in 1985 at a gala performance of Les Miserables, during a visit to India in 1992 and at a banquet for Malaysia's king and queen in 1993.
Each dress is expected to fetch about $200,000.
Life & Style blogs
Report finds English children among the unhappiest in world
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
The ALS Association doesn't yet know what to do with all this ice bucket challenge money
The science of saturated fat: A big fat surprise about nutrition?
The best gowns on the red carpet of 2014 Venice Film Festival
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Joan Rivers: 'Palestinians deserve to be dead'
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Anniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
- < Previous
- Next >
Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: CITY - An excellent new instruction w...
£500 per day: Harrington Starr: SQL Server Developer SQL, PHP, C#, Real Time,...
£600 per day: Harrington Starr: C#.NET Developer C#, Win Forms, WPF, WCF, MVVM...