Princess Diana's dresses to be auctioned in Canada
Wednesday 06 April 2011
The blue silk velvet dress Princess Diana wore at a 1985 White House dinner and famously danced in with actor John Travolta will be offered for sale along with other gowns, a Canadian auction house said Tuesday.
Waddington's auction house has scheduled a sale June 23 for 14 gowns selected or commissioned by the Princess of Wales between 1985 and 1994 from British designers Catherine Walker, Bruce Oldfield and Zandra Rhodes.
Florida entrepreneur Maureen Rorech Dunkel reportedly paid $700,000 in 1997 for the silk, satin, velvet and embroidered formal dinner and evening dresses at an auction to raise money for Diana's humanitarian causes.
Following Diana's death, they toured three continents, spent a decade on loan to Kensington Palace as part of the royal ceremonial dress collection, and were displayed at a Hard Rock hotel and Walt Disney World in Florida.
The collection includes dresses worn by Diana in 1985 at a gala performance of Les Miserables, during a visit to India in 1992 and at a banquet for Malaysia's king and queen in 1993.
Each dress is expected to fetch about $200,000.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 2 Ed Miliband deemed less influential than One Direction's Louis Tomlinson by official Doncaster power list
- 3 Japanese island overrun with cats after population explodes
- 4 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 5 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
£16000 - £46000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£9 - £13 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This is a great opportunity to join a s...
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Have you got a proven track rec...
£15000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a great opportunity for...