Selfridges named best department store in the world
Monday 14 June 2010
The Intercontinental Group of Department Stores (IGDS) and the International Association of Department Stores (IADS) have named London shopping temple Selfridges the Best Department Store in the world.
Prestigious contestants including Bloomingdales in the US and Lane Crawford in Hong Kong were left behind when both groups announced the winner during the Global Department Store Summit in New York on June 13.
"We are delighted to have won this very special award and very proud of our teams who have all contributed in making this happen," Paul Kelly, vice-chairman of Selfridges, said. "This is very much in recognition of their hard work. This centenary-old brand [Selfridges first opened in 1909] built on the most extraordinary heritage, confirms that Selfridges is the most relevant and exciting department store today."
According to the IGDS - the largest association of department stores worldwide - the store, which has branches in Oxford Street, Birmingham and Manchester, won thanks to its "prestigious profile, its product and store innovation strategies, in-store experience, customer service and financial performance."
Life & Style blogs
How old is your heart? US research finds three out of four people have hearts five years older than their actual age
iPhone 6s Plus photos: leaks show Force Touch display, subtly altered size
Huawei Mate S and Huawei Watch: new products take on iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch
Why do we have eyebrows? The social significance of our silent communicators
WhatsApp: How to discover who your best friends are - using a hidden tool within the application
- 1 Huawei Mate S and Huawei Watch: new products take on iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch
- 2 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
- 3 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 4 Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
£8 - £11 per hour: Recruitment Genius: A gentleman with congenital achondropla...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Training Officer is required ...
£30000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A leading provider of document ...
£17000 - £17800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to work ...