Shattering news: these hot new nail polishes are meant to crackle
Monday 28 March 2011
From nail art pens to Minx stickers, special-effect manicures are all the rage right now. Nailistas' latest favorite? New two-color crackle polishes.
Started by one of the industry's most innovative companies, OPI, the look - which consists of a popping color shining through cracks of a mostly black top coat - has quickly prompted other brands including China Glaze, WAH Nails, and Barry M to release similar lines.
The fast rising popularity of this manicure is due to the fact that it can be easily achieved at home despite looking as if it were created by a nail artist. After the base coat has dried, a differently colored top layer made from an incompatible solvent is applied, causing uneven drying in a shatter pattern.
Here are some of the crackle lacquers that have recently been released:
OPI Glam Slam
Teaming up with tennis player and nail art enthusiast Serena Williams, the label has released the Glam Slam duo, consisting of a glowing green Simply Smashing, and a Black Shatter top coat. Both retail for $8.50. Black Shatter can be applied onto other OPI shades, too.
Barry M Instant Nail Effects
The brand's collection consists of four colors: Black Magic, Pink Fizz, White Frost and Blue Print, selling for around $6.40 each from April.
China Glaze Crackle Collection
There are six colors available from this label, including Black Mesh, a grey Cracked Concrete, and a white Lightning Bolt, all priced at $6.49 each.
Models Own/WAH Nails
Nail polish brand Models Own has once more joined forces with hip London-based salon WAH to launch the graffiti-inspired Smash-Up collection, available in yellow, blue, purple, pink, orange, turquoise, silver, white and black. Being rolled out from April 20, the polishes ($9.60 each) will be sold at UK drugstore chain Boots as well as internationally online.
How to nail the look in three easy steps:
- Apply a maximum of two coats of your contrasting base color and let them dry completely.
- Apply crackle top coat very quickly as it dries fast.
- The thinner your top layer, the more cracks you will get.
Watch a tutorial by China Glaze at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGau_QMgQaA.
Life & Style blogs
Students in the south east of England gain the most weight in their first year
Jennifer Lawrence nude pictures leaked: Reddit removes 'The Fappening' board dedicated to sharing naked pictures of celebrities
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
Bulletproof Coffee: is adding butter to your coffee a good way to start the day?
Vogue under fire for 'Big Booty' article
- 1 Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means
- 2 Thailand deaths: Pair's bloodied bodies found naked on Koh Tao beach
- 3 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
- 4 Kanye West stops concert after two fans don't stand up - doesn't realise one is in wheelchair and the other disabled
- 5 QS university world rankings: Imperial College London leapfrogs Oxford to join Cambridge as best British university
£35000 - £50000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Senior QA Engineer (Agil...
£26000 - £28000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Digital Marketing Executive (SEO, PP...
£40000 - £50000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our retail client ...
£400 - £450 Per Annum possibly more for the right candidate: Clearwater People...