Style File: Utility factor - Industrial Design
Industrial designer Tom Dixon has put the funk into multi-functional with a capsule collection for Adidas, says Rebecca Gonsalves
Once radical, collaborations between fashion designers and sportswear brands have become almost commonplace. Indeed Adidas works with Yohji Yamamoto, Raf Simons, Stella McCartney, Jeremy Scott and Rick Owens. So, when it was searching for the latest name to add to the hall of fame, it cast the net a little wider, landing industrial designer Tom Dixon.
The collection comprises unisex, utilitarian pieces designed to enable a week away from home with just one suitcase, designed by Dixon, and the clothes it contains.
“I wanted to use Adidas’s expertise to resolve some inconvenient experiences I’ve had,” explains Dixon. “The long nylon parka that can be used as a sleeping bag came from a sad experience I had in once in Milan when I couldn’t find a place to stay and had to sleep in the park. I made items that willl fit right in to the busy world of a modern jetsetter. They are compact, fashionable and fully functional.” Another exceptional piece is an overall that can convert to a coat, jacket, trousers, skirt or shorts – bringing new meaning to the onesie.
While function and form are paramount, it’s the subtle details that excite the designer: “The arm lengths on the shirt jacket and the trouser legs can be cut to get the correct length – no sewing needed.”
Adidas Number 6, 6 Newburgh Street, London W1
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Alan Rickman admits editing 'terrible' script with friends in Pizza Hut behind backs of writers on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
- 2 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 3 US? China? India? The 10 biggest economies in 2030 will be...
- 4 'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
£18000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£16500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Chiropractic Assistant is needed in a ...
£18000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company provides coaching ...