Trendwatch: fashion goes 'gangsta'
Friday 02 September 2011
While Lanvin's Alber Elbaz is busy dancing to Pitbull in his new campaign, Karl Lagerfeld is reportedly collaborating with Snoop Dogg on a new music video.
Filmed in Saint Tropez - Lagerfeld's summer vacationing spot of choice - the clip is for local nightlife mogul Jean-Roch's aptly named new single "Saint Tropez," which apparently features hip hop poetry by rap's "doggfather."
According to several reports, the designer shot a scene at the local Café Senequier where he also presented his Chanel Cruise collection last year, but there's no word yet on whether or not Jean-Roch's famous VIP Room nightclub also served as a location for the video.
The news comes as part of an ongoing trend that sees fashion grow increasingly fond of all things "gangsta:" Lanvin's new campaign, which has its designer Alber Elbaz dance to the tunes of Pitbull, went viral this week, while female rapper Rye Rye got to debut Prabal Gurung's resort collection in the music video to "New Thing." Meanwhile, almost all of the tracks on Jay-Z and Kanye West's gold-winning Watch The Throne EP reference luxury fashion brands at some point, and Soulja Boy even went as far as releasing an entire EP dedicated to LVMH boss Bernard Arnault.
Need further proof? Watch Kreayshawn's "Gucci Gucci" video, which just bagged her MTV's Best New Artist award last weekend: http://youtu.be/6WJFjXtHcy4.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 3 Young Preston fan has play-off hero Jermaine Beckford's shirt stolen from him at Wembley - which then appears for sale on Gumtree
- 4 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...