Want a healthy complexion? Clean your makeup brushes
Friday 28 January 2011
Your makeup applicators could be breeding grounds for bacteria, which can led to acne, clogged pores, and impurities on your skin. Not so pretty. On January 26, health and beauty blog Blisstree offered a few tips on keeping your makeup brushes fresh and tidy.
First step, make sure your makeup hasn't expired. Mascara, because of its proximity to the eyes, should be replaced every three months, states Blisstree. "Most other makeup should be discarded after one year," said Dr. Carol L. Clinton, of skincare company Timeless Skin Solutions, in the article. "You'll notice that its consistency changes, and that any SPF in the product will have deteriorated."
Her advice: Clean your brushes weekly to keep a significant amount of bacteria from accumulating in the brush. If you use a brush daily to apply liquid makeup, however, you'll need to clean it daily.
Blisstree's tips for cleaning brushes:
1. Shampoo or facial cleaner: Since most makeup brushes are made of real hair, dabbing some shampoo into the palm of your hand and swirling the brush around in it under warm water should do the trick. Facial cleaners work well too.
2. Vinegar and water: To kill bacteria on your brushes, make a solution of one part vinegar and two parts water. Dip the brush into the vinegar solution and rinse in clean warm water.
3. Makeup brush cleaners: You can opt to purchase a specialized makeup brush cleaner, with some options to spray on and wipe off. Prices range from around €10 to €25. Sephora sells one for around $14/€11, as do Clinique and Bare Escentuals.
Watch a video on how to clean your makeup brushes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUK1T87H87k
Life & Style blogs
This restaurant has misunderstood the concept of 'cheese and biscuits'
What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
Tinder Plus: premium service launches, charging much more for those over 28
My life as a Jew in wartime Berlin: How I outwitted the Gestapo
Drinking three to five cups of a coffee a day could reduce risk of heart attacks, study finds
- 1 Bill Clinton portrait features Monica Lewinsky reference, artist admits
- 2 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 3 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 4 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 5 Average penis size revealed: Scientists attempt to find what is 'normal' to reassure concerned men
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Have you got a proven track rec...
£15000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a great opportunity for...
£38000 - £48000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This B2B content marketing agen...
£50000 - £60000 per annum + Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: An outstanding new...