Want a healthy complexion? Clean your makeup brushes
Friday 28 January 2011
Your makeup applicators could be breeding grounds for bacteria, which can led to acne, clogged pores, and impurities on your skin. Not so pretty. On January 26, health and beauty blog Blisstree offered a few tips on keeping your makeup brushes fresh and tidy.
First step, make sure your makeup hasn't expired. Mascara, because of its proximity to the eyes, should be replaced every three months, states Blisstree. "Most other makeup should be discarded after one year," said Dr. Carol L. Clinton, of skincare company Timeless Skin Solutions, in the article. "You'll notice that its consistency changes, and that any SPF in the product will have deteriorated."
Her advice: Clean your brushes weekly to keep a significant amount of bacteria from accumulating in the brush. If you use a brush daily to apply liquid makeup, however, you'll need to clean it daily.
Blisstree's tips for cleaning brushes:
1. Shampoo or facial cleaner: Since most makeup brushes are made of real hair, dabbing some shampoo into the palm of your hand and swirling the brush around in it under warm water should do the trick. Facial cleaners work well too.
2. Vinegar and water: To kill bacteria on your brushes, make a solution of one part vinegar and two parts water. Dip the brush into the vinegar solution and rinse in clean warm water.
3. Makeup brush cleaners: You can opt to purchase a specialized makeup brush cleaner, with some options to spray on and wipe off. Prices range from around €10 to €25. Sephora sells one for around $14/€11, as do Clinique and Bare Escentuals.
Watch a video on how to clean your makeup brushes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUK1T87H87k
Life & Style blogs
DNA hope on schizophrenia: Research breakthrough points at over 100 genes
Husband creates spreadsheet detailing wife's 'excuses' for turning down sex
Apple has installed security backdoors on 600m iPhones and iPads, claims security researcher
UK pirates will get four warning letters a year
Man takes most pointless Uber cab ride of all time
- 1 Saneie Masilela, 9, marries Helen Shabangu, 53 years his senior, for the second time
- 2 Apple has installed security backdoors on 600m iPhones and iPads, claims security researcher
- 3 UK pirates will get four warning letters a year
- 4 Man takes most pointless Uber cab ride of all time
- 5 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
Competitive: The Green Recruitment Company: Job Title: Scheme Manager (BREEAM)...
Flexible, depending on experience: The Green Recruitment Company: Job Title: T...
£850 - £950 per day: Orgtel: Programme Director - Conduct Risk - Banking - £85...
£100 - £110 per day: Orgtel: Project Coordinator/Order Entry Hampshire