Want a healthy complexion? Clean your makeup brushes
Friday 28 January 2011
Your makeup applicators could be breeding grounds for bacteria, which can led to acne, clogged pores, and impurities on your skin. Not so pretty. On January 26, health and beauty blog Blisstree offered a few tips on keeping your makeup brushes fresh and tidy.
First step, make sure your makeup hasn't expired. Mascara, because of its proximity to the eyes, should be replaced every three months, states Blisstree. "Most other makeup should be discarded after one year," said Dr. Carol L. Clinton, of skincare company Timeless Skin Solutions, in the article. "You'll notice that its consistency changes, and that any SPF in the product will have deteriorated."
Her advice: Clean your brushes weekly to keep a significant amount of bacteria from accumulating in the brush. If you use a brush daily to apply liquid makeup, however, you'll need to clean it daily.
Blisstree's tips for cleaning brushes:
1. Shampoo or facial cleaner: Since most makeup brushes are made of real hair, dabbing some shampoo into the palm of your hand and swirling the brush around in it under warm water should do the trick. Facial cleaners work well too.
2. Vinegar and water: To kill bacteria on your brushes, make a solution of one part vinegar and two parts water. Dip the brush into the vinegar solution and rinse in clean warm water.
3. Makeup brush cleaners: You can opt to purchase a specialized makeup brush cleaner, with some options to spray on and wipe off. Prices range from around €10 to €25. Sephora sells one for around $14/€11, as do Clinique and Bare Escentuals.
Watch a video on how to clean your makeup brushes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUK1T87H87k
Life & Style blogs
The mother who never gave up on her child abused by the Oxford child sex ring
Britain scrapes into top 25 countries in the world to be a mother in Save the Children report
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
The 12 most sexually satisfied countries in the world revealed
Uploading pictures to find out how old you are gives Microsoft the right to post them wherever they want
- 2 Italian police 'reveal' what Jesus looked like as a young boy
- 3 General Election 2015: 14-year-old boy asks Nick Clegg – 'can you kill Katie Hopkins?'
- 4 University student in court for allegedly covering housemates' food in window cleaner and spit
- 5 Ryan Gosling posts tribute to 'Ryan Gosling Won't Eat His Cereal' creator Ryan McHenry
£13676.46 - £16411.61 per annum + OTE: SThree: SThree Trainee Recruitment Cons...
£18000 - £22000 per annum + training: Ashdown Group: Business and Marketing Gr...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + Commission: SThree: Are you great at building rela...
£20000 - £22000 per annum + excellent benefits: Ashdown Group: Application Sup...