Weekly fashion indicators: out with the old
Wednesday 26 May 2010
There aren't many too familiar names to be found in this week's Polyvore trends, with the site's stylists using new or 'hip-again' brands.
Usually dominated by 'big shots,' such as Chanel or Burberry, the top ten brands yield unexpected labels including accessory designer Rodo, shoe brands Paloma Barceló and Casadei, and French retail chain Sandro, while Italian pret-à-porter label Anna Molinari continues its reign.
A similar scenario presents itself when looking at this week's top sites: the usual go-tos including net-à-porter.com or theoutnet.com are nowhere to be seen - instead: conceptual 'fringe' sites such as lindestore.com or 25park.com.
As for celebrities, times are changing, too: Leighton Meester could hold her position for just one week after ousting Audrey Hepburn from the #1 spot, and now, fashion's new it-girl, Miranda Cosgrove can be found here after the actress continually climbed the top ten for the past weeks. Marilyn Monroe has entered the ranking at #10, potentially in tune with the current plus-size trend.
1. Anna Molinari (no change)
2. Casadei (+7)
3. Susan Caplan Vintage (new)
4. Paloma Barceló (no change)
5. Rodo (new)
6. Emanuel Ungaro (re-entry)
7. Chloé (-1)
8. Sandro (new)
9. Alexander McQueen (-7)
10. Proenza Schouler (-5)
1. tacori.com (no change)
2. refinery29shops.com (+2)
3. maxandchloe.com (-1)
4. lindestore.com (new)
5. rachelreinhardt.com (new)
6. youheshe.com (+4)
7. aliceandolivia.com (+2)
8. farfetch.com (re-entry)
9. 25park.com (new)
10. tarinatarantino.com (re-entry)
1. Miranda Cosgrove (+2)
2. Audrey Hepburn (no change)
3. Lady Gaga (+2)
4. Leighton Meester (-3)
5. Kristen Stewart (+2)
6. Blake Lively (-2)
7. Taylor Momsen (-1)
8. Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen (no change)
9. Emma Watson (no change)
10. Marilyn Monroe (new)
1. high top sneakers (+1)
2. knuckle rings (-1)
3. fedora hats (+1)
4. floral skirts (re-entry)
5. ballet flats (-2)
6. plaid (re-entry)
7. graphic tees (re-entry)
8. high waisted skirts (-2)
9. gladiator sandals (+1)
10. chain link bracelets (re-entry)
Polyvore, which lets users express their current fashion preferences in the form of collages, receives five million individual visits a month.
Life & Style blogs
The Swedes are adding a gender-neutral pronoun to their dictionary
PTSD photo series documents what the disorder is really like – as study reveals suicides of 22 US veterans every day
The distress of some Zayn Malik fans is real, and they need support, say experts
Torrent is not valid bencoding: uTorrent users on proxy hit with ISP block
The truth about student sex workers: it's far from Belle Du Jour
- 1 Finland schools: Subjects scrapped and replaced with 'topics' as country reforms its education system
- 2 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 3 #FreeTheNipple: Women in Iceland bare breasts in solidarity with trolled student
- 4 Scientists have discovered a simple way to cook rice that dramatically cuts the calories
- 5 Zayn Malik quits One Direction: Hundreds of workers request compassionate leave following band member's exit
£32000 - £38000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A successful accountancy practice in...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Uncapped commission: SThree: Does earning a 6 figu...
£18000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A challenging opportunity for a...