Weekly fashion indicators: unleash your inner animal
Tuesday 22 June 2010
The resort collections already hinted at the fact that animal print is back in a big way, and now it seems like the trend is entering the mainstream.
Polyvore users are particularly fond of leopard (on handbags, platform heels, or leather jackets), zebra (on leggings, blouses, and even ponchos), and snakeskin prints (tunics, dresses, and bikinis).
In brands and websites, jewelry is still going strong with designers such as Lee Angel and stores like Apples of Gold gaining popularity.
Ethical fashion brand Edun has also entered the brands top ten due to a relaunch at Barneys and a much-talked-about t-shirt range for the World Cup, whose proceeds will go to help African projects.
Vanessa Bruno's top ten debut is further proof of US customers increasingly falling for French fashion brands.
In celebrities, the first spots haven't changed in three consecutive weeks, with Audrey Hepburn, Kristen Stewart, and Lady Gaga still holding the top three. The ghost of Marilyn Monroe continues her climb due to recent Hollywood auctions and a resurgent fascination with the curvy star (maybe due to the plus-size trend). Sarah Jessica Parker failed to wow her audience in Sex and the City 2 and re-enters at a disappointing #10.
1. Lee Angel Jewelry (no change)
2. Emilio Pucci (+3)
3. Alexander Wang (-1)
4. Chloé (-1)
5. Halston (+4)
6. Alexander McQueen (+1)
7. Miu Miu (+3)
8. Edun (new)
9. Yves Saint Laurent (-5)
10. Vanessa Bruno (new)
1. styledrops.com (no change)
2. maxandchloe.com (no change)
3. 25park.com (+2)
4. calypso-celle.com (no change)
5. farfetch.com (+1)
6. greenwichjewelers.com (new)
7. kirnazabete.com (no change)
8. applesofgold.com (new)
9. journelle.com (re-entry)
10. bagborroworsteal.com (re-entry)
1. Audrey Hepburn (no change)
2. Kristen Stewart (no change)
3. Lady Gaga (no change)
4. Emma Watson (no change)
5. Leighton Meester (+1)
6. Marilyn Monroe (+2)
7. Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen (-2)
8. Blake Lively (-1)
9. Taylor Momsen (no change)
10. Sarah Jessica Parker (re-entry)
1. moccasin shoes (re-entry)
2. studded belts (re-entry)
3. animal print (new)
4. studded handbags (new)
5. big bangles (new)
6. plaid shirts (re-entry)
7. cat eye glasses (re-entry)
8. peep toe booties (new))
9. cardigans (re-entry)
10. sequin tanks (new)
Polyvore, which lets users express their current fashion preferences in the form of collages, receives five million individual visits a month.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Should Apple buy Greece?
- 2 Michael Douglas regrets 'embarrassing' Catherine Zeta-Jones with oral sex comments
- 3 Drummer Lee Rigby's family reject 'extremist' groups using Woolwich murder for political gain
- 4 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 5 Fox News anchor asks 'what's to prevent' three people from marrying after same-sex marriage legalised
£500 - £600 per day: Recruitment Genius: A Senior Solution Architect is requir...
£18k - 20k per year: 360 Resourcing Solutions: ROLE: Export Sales Coordinato...
£20000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The largest developer of mobile...
£22500 - £27000 per annum + OTE £45K: SThree: Since our inception in 1986, STh...