Weekly fashion indicators: unleash your inner animal
Tuesday 22 June 2010
The resort collections already hinted at the fact that animal print is back in a big way, and now it seems like the trend is entering the mainstream.
Polyvore users are particularly fond of leopard (on handbags, platform heels, or leather jackets), zebra (on leggings, blouses, and even ponchos), and snakeskin prints (tunics, dresses, and bikinis).
In brands and websites, jewelry is still going strong with designers such as Lee Angel and stores like Apples of Gold gaining popularity.
Ethical fashion brand Edun has also entered the brands top ten due to a relaunch at Barneys and a much-talked-about t-shirt range for the World Cup, whose proceeds will go to help African projects.
Vanessa Bruno's top ten debut is further proof of US customers increasingly falling for French fashion brands.
In celebrities, the first spots haven't changed in three consecutive weeks, with Audrey Hepburn, Kristen Stewart, and Lady Gaga still holding the top three. The ghost of Marilyn Monroe continues her climb due to recent Hollywood auctions and a resurgent fascination with the curvy star (maybe due to the plus-size trend). Sarah Jessica Parker failed to wow her audience in Sex and the City 2 and re-enters at a disappointing #10.
1. Lee Angel Jewelry (no change)
2. Emilio Pucci (+3)
3. Alexander Wang (-1)
4. Chloé (-1)
5. Halston (+4)
6. Alexander McQueen (+1)
7. Miu Miu (+3)
8. Edun (new)
9. Yves Saint Laurent (-5)
10. Vanessa Bruno (new)
1. styledrops.com (no change)
2. maxandchloe.com (no change)
3. 25park.com (+2)
4. calypso-celle.com (no change)
5. farfetch.com (+1)
6. greenwichjewelers.com (new)
7. kirnazabete.com (no change)
8. applesofgold.com (new)
9. journelle.com (re-entry)
10. bagborroworsteal.com (re-entry)
1. Audrey Hepburn (no change)
2. Kristen Stewart (no change)
3. Lady Gaga (no change)
4. Emma Watson (no change)
5. Leighton Meester (+1)
6. Marilyn Monroe (+2)
7. Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen (-2)
8. Blake Lively (-1)
9. Taylor Momsen (no change)
10. Sarah Jessica Parker (re-entry)
1. moccasin shoes (re-entry)
2. studded belts (re-entry)
3. animal print (new)
4. studded handbags (new)
5. big bangles (new)
6. plaid shirts (re-entry)
7. cat eye glasses (re-entry)
8. peep toe booties (new))
9. cardigans (re-entry)
10. sequin tanks (new)
Polyvore, which lets users express their current fashion preferences in the form of collages, receives five million individual visits a month.
Life & Style blogs
How Stephen Hawking is still alive, defying ALS and the worst expectations
The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
Mother's Day 2015: When is it – and how did it first come about?
Children warned to not listen to music for more than one hour a day
- 1 Forget 'The Dress': Here are five of the biggest news stories you might have missed
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Saudi Muslim cleric claims the Earth is 'stationary' and the sun rotates around it
£9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This role is based within a small family run ...
£28000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Design and marketing agenc...
£46000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This property investment firm are lookin...
£18000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company specialises provid...