Widen your eyes for spring's new wide stripes
Friday 28 January 2011
When Italian fashion label Prada released its spring campaign video this week, it was quickly posted and re-posted across the internet - not only because of its happy mood, but also because wide stripes are finally looking good again.
Closely associated with French designer Sonia Rykiel - her campaign for the Swedish retailer H&M last year was almost exclusively about wide stripes in bold colors - the look couldn't help but feel a bit nostalgic of the 1960s. But with the current comeback of all things 'swinging,' it was only a matter of time until this style staple would re-emerge.
Prada presents a colorful interpretation in its clip and print visuals, but there are several examples of the look also invading monochromatic outfits, such as H&M's recent Waste Collection, made from leftovers of its collaboration with French luxury brand Lanvin.
Swedish label Acne and French design house Chloé built several looks on wide stripes for their respective pre-fall collections, and model star-in-the-making Ashley Smith is wearing them on the February cover of Danish fashion magazine Dansk. Time to dig out old classics!
Life & Style blogs
iPhone 5C could be killed next year, and Apple’s cheap and cheerful line might die with it
Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
Coke milk? Coca-Cola to launch premium milk brand called Fairlife
Black Friday: Best fashion deals -online and on the high-street
UK's first plus-size fashion magazine Slink hits the shelves: 'Style doesn't stop at size 8'
- 1 Exodus Gods and Kings: Ridley Scott never considered casting 'Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such' in lead role
- 2 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he'd killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: SURREY MARKET TOWN - SENIOR PROPERTY SOLICITOR...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: What do you want to do with your career? Do yo...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This company is a leading expert in immunoassa...