Widen your eyes for spring's new wide stripes
Friday 28 January 2011
When Italian fashion label Prada released its spring campaign video this week, it was quickly posted and re-posted across the internet - not only because of its happy mood, but also because wide stripes are finally looking good again.
Closely associated with French designer Sonia Rykiel - her campaign for the Swedish retailer H&M last year was almost exclusively about wide stripes in bold colors - the look couldn't help but feel a bit nostalgic of the 1960s. But with the current comeback of all things 'swinging,' it was only a matter of time until this style staple would re-emerge.
Prada presents a colorful interpretation in its clip and print visuals, but there are several examples of the look also invading monochromatic outfits, such as H&M's recent Waste Collection, made from leftovers of its collaboration with French luxury brand Lanvin.
Swedish label Acne and French design house Chloé built several looks on wide stripes for their respective pre-fall collections, and model star-in-the-making Ashley Smith is wearing them on the February cover of Danish fashion magazine Dansk. Time to dig out old classics!
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 A third of employers never check job applicants' qualifications, survey finds
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Junior Quant Analyst - C++, Boost...
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Service Desk Analyst- (Desktop Su...
£30000 - £50000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Junior Quant Analyst (Machine Lea...
£45000 - £55000 per annum: Harrington Starr: UNIX Application Support Analyst-...