Will Tumblr displace Facebook in fashion?
Tuesday 08 February 2011
Tech blog Mashable reports that fashion brands are increasingly turning to Tumblr to reach their fans. Why? Because a picture tells a thousand words.
Fashion bloggers have long embraced the latest blogging outlet (see a directory of them here - they currently make up almost 200 of Tumblr's top 1000 blogs), and now brands - such as Kate Spade and Oscar de la Renta - are following suit.
Tumblr is so popular in fashion circles due to its visual-friendly nature and because it makes it easier to 're-blog' posts, which has resulted in fashion campaigns going viral more often than posts outside the field. According to Mashable, Kate Spade now uses the following social media to stay in touch with its fans: "Facebook (for fielding, primarily, customer inquiries), Twitter (for talking to fans, and sharing images ...), YouTube (for distributing branded short films), Instagram and Foursquare."
Tumblr is also one of five nominees as the "Next Big Thing in Tech" at the Fashion 2.0 Awards. The blogging site has already responded to its increasing relevance in the industry by hiring a fashion director and sending 20 of its bloggers to New York Fashion Week (starts February 10).
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
- 2 Question Time's 'passionate highlander' is the William Wallace of the Better Together campaign
- 3 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 4 Tony Abbott embarrasses Australia by praising Japanese WWII military, ‘getting on the sake’ and posing for ‘crotch-shot’ photo opportunity
- 5 The true Gaza back-story that the Israelis aren’t telling this week
competitive: Progressive Recruitment: My client, a FTSE 100 organisation are u...
£300 - £350 per day + competitive: Orgtel: My client, a leading bank, is curre...
£33000 per annum + pension, 25 days holiday: Ashdown Group: A highly successfu...
£28000 - £32000 per annum + pension, 25 days holiday: Ashdown Group: A highly ...