Will Tumblr displace Facebook in fashion?
Tuesday 08 February 2011
Tech blog Mashable reports that fashion brands are increasingly turning to Tumblr to reach their fans. Why? Because a picture tells a thousand words.
Fashion bloggers have long embraced the latest blogging outlet (see a directory of them here - they currently make up almost 200 of Tumblr's top 1000 blogs), and now brands - such as Kate Spade and Oscar de la Renta - are following suit.
Tumblr is so popular in fashion circles due to its visual-friendly nature and because it makes it easier to 're-blog' posts, which has resulted in fashion campaigns going viral more often than posts outside the field. According to Mashable, Kate Spade now uses the following social media to stay in touch with its fans: "Facebook (for fielding, primarily, customer inquiries), Twitter (for talking to fans, and sharing images ...), YouTube (for distributing branded short films), Instagram and Foursquare."
Tumblr is also one of five nominees as the "Next Big Thing in Tech" at the Fashion 2.0 Awards. The blogging site has already responded to its increasing relevance in the industry by hiring a fashion director and sending 20 of its bloggers to New York Fashion Week (starts February 10).
Life & Style blogs
- 1 'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 4 Lana Del Rey rape video: Marilyn Manson denies involvement in shocking leaked footage
- 5 Kenya bus attack: Al-Shabaab militants kill 28 non-Muslims who failed to recite Koran
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: A trustee (company d...
£45000 - £65000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join a successful an...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Digital Sales Account Manager...