Women more likely to buy items presented on lookalikes
Wednesday 02 March 2011
According to the
Guardian, new research - to be published in a few months - suggests that female shoppers are more likely to buy products modeled on women who resemble them.
Ben Barry, a PhD student at Cambridge University, thinks that his findings will eventually impact the way women are portrayed in fashion magazines and advertising, reports the British newspaper.
Barry questioned 3,000 women in the UK, US and Canada using mocked-up fashion adverts. "... the vast majority of women significantly increase purchase intentions when they see a model that reflects their age, size and race," he told the Guardian, adding: "If you speak to consumers on the street about my research, nobody is surprised - consumers are light years ahead of the fashion industry in that they want to see diversity."
The latter is a fact that Barry wishes the industry would reconsider: "[It] operates in its own bubble, but advertisers and magazine editors need to be mindful of who their target market is and how the models reflect that market, catch up and change."
Read the full article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/feb/28/curvy-models-style-magazines
Life & Style blogs
'I am a paedophile': Is our approach to sex offenders helping to create more victims?
Scientists discover 'stroke protection gene' – that also guards against heart attack and migraine
Dame Vivienne Westwood: The former Queen of Punk may now be an establishment pillar, but her work is still controversial – and much copied
Parenting gay teens: the book that all parents need to read
Regin: US and UK intelligence services could be responsible for snooping spyware
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 4 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
- 5 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: CHESHIRE MARKET TOWN - An exciting and rare o...
Excellent Salary : Austen Lloyd: NORTH HAMPSHIRE - SENIOR POSITION - An exciti...
£29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Gas Installation Engineer is required ...
£28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Domestic Gas Technical Surveyor is req...