Yoga master Iyengar asks Donna Karan to ditch rabbit fur
Monday 28 March 2011
Celebrated Indian yoga master B.K.S. Iyengar has written to US celebrity fashion designer Donna Karan calling on her to stop using rabbit fur in her clothes, a statement said.
Ninety-two-year-old Iyengar said he was urging Karan to join other top fashion designers - including Calvin Klein, Stella McCartney, Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger - who do not use fur in their designs.
"As a yoga practitioner, may I request you, on behalf of myself and my friends from People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) India, to take a stand against using the fur of animals that is removed by the cruelest killing methods," Iyengar said in a letter.
"Mr Iyengar uses his power and influence to help animals," said Peta spokesman Poorva Joshipura on Saturday.
A copy of Iyengar's letter to Karan was emailed to AFP by PETA India.
Iyengar, known as one of the world's foremost yoga instructors, said he was asking Karan to stop using "furs, which are violently removed from the living animals, so that those animals which have the right to live, live in peace".
Emails sent to Karan's office by AFP requesting comment received no reply.
Karan has long been the target of animal rights activists, who have disrupted her fashion shows, over the use of rabbit fur in her designs.
Life & Style blogs
Snapchat removed the Best Friends list feature and 'stalkers' are upset
Virtual reality thrusts viewers into the frontline of global events - and puts film-goers at the heart of the action
Fifty years of David Bowie's hairstyles in one animated gif
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
Eculizumab: 'The £10m-per-patient NHS drug gave me my life back’
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 3 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
£15000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This major European Intellectual Propert...
£130 - £150 per day: Tradewind Recruitment: Humanities Teacher Jan 2015 - July...
£14500 - £15000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An Accounts Assistant is immedi...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...