Financial Makeover: A healthy outlook


Karen has started a new job, following a period of self-employment since redundancy a few years ago. Her husband, Edmund, is retired on ill health grounds and they are both in receipt of a pension from their previous employers. They jointly own a property, with a very small mortgage and equity of about pounds 250,000, which they rent out. Their own home has no mortgage.

Karen and Edmund have several investments, including a National Savings Investment Account, National Savings Certificates, a plethora of with- profits endowments and some windfall shares.

The couple's priority is to use the pounds 1,000 per month available to them to invest for capital growth and to invest a further pounds 20,000, also for capital growth. Karen's main concern is to be able to afford additional home help should her husband's health deteriorate, and to ensure that she is financially secure should her own health suffer in the future.

The adviser: Martha Catterall is a director at City Independent, independent financial advisers, 35 Paul Street, London EC2 (0171-528 0092)

The advice: First, there is a need for an emergency fund, for use in unforeseen events. I recommend about pounds 6,000 is placed in it and that the pounds 6,000 you have in the National Savings Investment Account, currently paying 4 per cent gross, is moved to Sainsbury's Bank ( paying 5.35 per cent) or Egg (6.0 per cent). Your windfall shares are doing very well and I advise that you simply keep hold of these as "rainy day" money.

You have a number of smallish endowments maturing between 1999 and 2004. The endowment maturing this year is earmarked to pay for a three-year post-graduate doctorate.

As for the others, you must see what both your situation and the products available at the time are. However, there are a number of low- to-medium risk investment vehicles which would be appropriate, including corporate bond funds or tracker funds within an ISA, or even traded endowment policies.

From the pounds 20,000 available, I recommend that you both maximise your ISA allowance of pounds 7,000 each for 1999/2000. Although ISAs are advantageous for higher-rate taxpayers, I feel that it is also appropriate for basic rate taxpayers like your husband to take advantage of tax-free growth. Your fund choice should reflect your attitude to risk, which is fairly cautious: M&G Corporate Bond fund (with income reinvested) or Fidelity's Moneybuilder Growth fund.

However, to create capital over the 10-15 year period you can afford an element of medium risk too: Jupiter's or Invesco's European Growth Fund, or Gartmore's UK Index Fund, are ideal for this. There is no need to rush into ISAs, however, as the market is artificially inflated owing to the "last-minute PEP rush" in my opinion.

Waiting until later in the year and contributing on a monthly basis would be sensible. I would invest the remaining pounds 6,000 into a traded endowment plan, as it fulfils your objectives: a low risk investment you can tailor to your needs (you chose one that matures when you want capital at an appropriate premium level and purchase price). You could also invest your maturing National Savings Certificates into these vehicles, as National Savings per se have failed to maintain their competitiveness.

You are already receiving your main pension, which is indexed each year and has a 50 per cent spouse's benefit built in. However, it is not enough on its own and you are keen to use the next 10 years to build up another pension pot. Your current employer offers a Group Personal Pension Plan after six months of employment and contributes 12 per cent of your basic salary into it.

Contributions into Personal Pension Plans are determined by earnings and age, and once they have put their 12 per cent in you can still pay up to 18 per cent, which is pounds 309.30 net per month. If the full 30 per cent of your salary was paid into a personal pension for the next 10 years, it would create a pension of pounds 10,700 a year, based on present assumptions from Eagle Star. As a higher-rate taxpayer you receive tax relief on your contributions at top rate, which grow in a tax-efficient environment.

All pension plans that need to be "stakeholder friendly" have high early surrender values, so you should check with your employer that this is the case with its Group Personal Pension scheme. However, your earnings are in excess of pounds 18,000 a year, which would, based on current information, indicate that a stakeholder pension would not be appropriate anyway. In addition, you should find out the terms for the Group Personal Pension, as it may be best for you to pay your 18 per cent contribution into it.

Always apply for waiver of premium on a personal pension plan, thus ensuring that if you are unable to work due to illness, the pensions provider will take over your (and your employer's) contributions for you. Complete a BR19 form, available from DSS offices, to find out what State benefits you can expect to receive at State retirement age. I also recommend a critical illness policy, which will pay out tax-free cash on diagnosis of a critical condition.

Of the pounds 1,000 a month available for financial planning purposes, I recommend that pounds 200 is set aside for holidays and general fun, pounds 309.30 for pension planning, pounds 83.59 for pounds 100,000 of critical illness cover with Skandia Life, pounds 300 for investment into low risk unit or investment trusts, earmarked to pay for long-term care, should you need it. This leaves pounds 100 a month to go towards monthly premiums for the traded endowments discussed earlier.

Long-term care is in a state of flux at present and you are too young to be paying insurance premiums for this, though this is advisable once you are 60. You would be better off, at this stage, building up capital.

Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Life and Style
ebookNow available in paperback
ebookPart of The Independent’s new eBook series The Great Composers
  • Get to the point
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

ES Rentals

    iJobs Job Widget
    iJobs General

    Recruitment Genius: Retail Buyer / Ecommerce Buyer

    £30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Working closely with the market...

    Recruitment Genius: Sales Executive - CAD Software Solutions Sales

    £20000 - £50000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A reputable company, famed for ...

    Ashdown Group: Client Accountant Team Manager - Reading

    Negotiable: Ashdown Group: The Ashdown Group has been engaged by a highly resp...

    Recruitment Genius: Account Manager

    Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: You will also work alongside their seasoned sa...

    Day In a Page

    Peter Ackroyd on Alfred Hitchcock: How London shaped the director's art and obsessions

    Peter Ackroyd on Alfred Hitchcock

    Ackroyd has devoted his literary career to chronicling the capital and its characters. He tells John Walsh why he chose the master of suspense as his latest subject
    Ryan Reynolds interview: The actor is branching out with Nazi art-theft drama Woman in Gold

    Ryan Reynolds branches out in Woman in Gold

    For every box-office smash in Ryan Reynolds' Hollywood career, there's always been a misconceived let-down. It's time for a rethink and a reboot, the actor tells James Mottram
    Why Robin Williams safeguarded himself against a morbid trend in advertising

    Stars safeguard against morbid advertising

    As film-makers and advertisers make increasing posthumous use of celebrities' images, some stars are finding new ways of ensuring that they rest in peace
    General Election 2015: The masterminds behind the scenes

    The masterminds behind the election

    How do you get your party leader to embrace a message and then stick to it? By employing these people
    Machine Gun America: The amusement park where teenagers go to shoot a huge range of automatic weapons

    Machine Gun America

    The amusement park where teenagers go to shoot a huge range of automatic weapons
    The ethics of pet food: Why are we are so selective in how we show animals our love?

    The ethics of pet food

    Why are we are so selective in how we show animals our love?
    How Tansy Davies turned 9/11 into her opera 'Between Worlds'

    How a composer turned 9/11 into her opera 'Between Worlds'

    Tansy Davies makes her operatic debut with a work about the attack on the Twin Towers. Despite the topic, she says it is a life-affirming piece
    11 best bedside tables

    11 best bedside tables

    It could be the first thing you see in the morning, so make it work for you. We find night stands, tables and cabinets to wake up to
    Italy vs England player ratings: Did Andros Townsend's goal see him beat Harry Kane and Wayne Rooney to top marks?

    Italy vs England player ratings

    Did Townsend's goal see him beat Kane and Rooney to top marks?
    Danny Higginbotham: An underdog's tale of making the most of it

    An underdog's tale of making the most of it

    Danny Higginbotham on being let go by Manchester United, annoying Gordon Strachan, utilising his talents to the full at Stoke and plunging into the world of analysis
    Audley Harrison's abusers forget the debt he's due, but Errol Christie will always remember what he owes the police

    Steve Bunce: Inside Boxing

    Audley Harrison's abusers forget the debt he's due, but Errol Christie will always remember what he owes the police
    No postcode? No vote

    Floating voters

    How living on a houseboat meant I didn't officially 'exist'
    Louis Theroux's affable Englishman routine begins to wear thin

    By Reason of Insanity

    Louis Theroux's affable Englishman routine begins to wear thin
    Power dressing is back – but no shoulderpads!

    Power dressing is back

    But banish all thoughts of Eighties shoulderpads
    Spanish stone-age cave paintings 'under threat' after being re-opened to the public

    Spanish stone-age cave paintings in Altamira 'under threat'

    Caves were re-opened to the public