A peek at new treats and trends to hit convenience store shelves
Tuesday 12 October 2010
The NACS, an international trade group representing retailers and suppliers, and its annual show brings together corner store buyers to preview and stock up on new products ranging from candy and beer to lottery tickets.
On October 8 at the National Association of Convenience Stores (NACS) Show in the US city of Atlanta, Georgia various companies launched new products, including:
- Hershey's wrapper-less Hershey's drops and Reese's minis
- Mars' ice cream pints: Snickers Rocky Road, Milky Way and Twix Peanut Butter (January 2011)
- Mars' Snickers Peanut Butter Squared (December) and Twix Coconut Cookie Bars (April 2011)
- Airheads new tangy Pink Lemonade and Orange
- Mentos New Rainbow Roll
- GrapeVines and CherryVines from the makers of RedVines
Plus buyers showed the greatest interest during the show for these previewed "Cool New Products" according to daily scans:
- Disney Foodles and Crunch Pak Sliced Apples
- Ready Snax Fresh Fruit Parfaits
- International Delight Flavor Shots
- BP Pro Beer Pong Products
According to NACS, American "convenience stores sell more than 2 billion gallons of beer a year - roughly one-third of all the beer purchased in the United States," and the market "accounts for more than $624 billion [€447 billion] in sales."
The global research firm Envirosell found 49 percent of convenience store shoppers "report that their candy purchases were unplanned."
And, Mars' Jim Murphy, vice president of North America sales, said, "We've just completed a study that clearly shows that convenience stores can grow ice cream novelty sales by up to 60 percent through category management," after finding consumers will leave a store if their favorite brand or flavor of ice cream is not present.
Life & Style blogs
iPhone 7 (or iPhone 6S) leaked pictures show similarities to older model — but Apple is fixing the biggest issue of all
People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
Google has set its terrifying, dreaming image robots on the public
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 2 Van driver who comforted Clark Carlisle and called 999 after suicide attempt dies age 24
- 3 People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
- 4 Baby rescued 1km out to sea after parents forgot about her
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
iJobs Food & Drink
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To support their continued grow...
£33000 - £38000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A global player and world leade...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: If you are friendly, sociable, ...
£22300 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This museum group is looking for a Payro...