A peek at new treats and trends to hit convenience store shelves
Tuesday 12 October 2010
The NACS, an international trade group representing retailers and suppliers, and its annual show brings together corner store buyers to preview and stock up on new products ranging from candy and beer to lottery tickets.
On October 8 at the National Association of Convenience Stores (NACS) Show in the US city of Atlanta, Georgia various companies launched new products, including:
- Hershey's wrapper-less Hershey's drops and Reese's minis
- Mars' ice cream pints: Snickers Rocky Road, Milky Way and Twix Peanut Butter (January 2011)
- Mars' Snickers Peanut Butter Squared (December) and Twix Coconut Cookie Bars (April 2011)
- Airheads new tangy Pink Lemonade and Orange
- Mentos New Rainbow Roll
- GrapeVines and CherryVines from the makers of RedVines
Plus buyers showed the greatest interest during the show for these previewed "Cool New Products" according to daily scans:
- Disney Foodles and Crunch Pak Sliced Apples
- Ready Snax Fresh Fruit Parfaits
- International Delight Flavor Shots
- BP Pro Beer Pong Products
According to NACS, American "convenience stores sell more than 2 billion gallons of beer a year - roughly one-third of all the beer purchased in the United States," and the market "accounts for more than $624 billion [€447 billion] in sales."
The global research firm Envirosell found 49 percent of convenience store shoppers "report that their candy purchases were unplanned."
And, Mars' Jim Murphy, vice president of North America sales, said, "We've just completed a study that clearly shows that convenience stores can grow ice cream novelty sales by up to 60 percent through category management," after finding consumers will leave a store if their favorite brand or flavor of ice cream is not present.
The Washington Post editor helped Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein bring down President Nixon
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Board creates magnetic field to achieve lift
Life & Style blogs
iPhone 6 'catches on fire and burns man's leg after bending in his pocket'
The hoverboard is real, and it could give rise to hoverhouses
Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'
Lynda Bellingham dead: Bowel cancer - what is it and what are the symptoms?
- 1 Salisbury ranked seventh-best city in the world to visit in Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel 2015
- 2 Disney announces new female-led film Moana
- 3 Banksy has not been arrested: Internet duped by fake report claiming artist's identity revealed
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
iJobs Food & Drink
£30 - 50k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a SCRUM Master to joi...
£13,520: Recruitment Genius: As this role can be customer facing at times, the...
£50000 - £60000 per annum: Sauce Recruitment: A successful entertainment, even...
£25000 - £30000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: A fantastic opportunity h...