B I T E
Saturday 15 April 1995
These, basically, are heavy-duty plastic bins that have been customised into composters, with a tap at the base to drain off high quality organic liquid fertiliser. The worms are tiger worms, which will munch through just about anything but prefer a mix that is not too acidic. Eventually the worms will transform the kitchen cuttings to compost. They cost £48.90 incl delivery (full size) or £29.95 ("junior") from Original Organics, Unit 4/5 Farthings Lodge Business Centre, Plymtree, Cullompton, Devon EX15 2JY (01884-277681).
Guides taking in farms and food suppliers as well as restaurants may well supplant traditional restaurant guides. Good Food in Yorkshire & Humberside, by television producer Jill Turton, includes the Michelin- starred Wintringham Fields in Humberside, the best stir-fry in Leeds and an ancient apple orchard. The book (£6.99) is available from Smith Settle Ltd, Ilkley Road, Otley, West Yorkshire LS21 3JP (01943-467958).
New-wave sushi bars springing up around London will be British in more ways than location. According to Reuter, this week the European Union has banned imports of Japanese fish due to concerns over hygiene. The ban will affect imports of around 6,000 tons of fish a year.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Easter egg hunt horror as mother finds dead body under deck of house
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 Unbeliebable: The White House offer 'no comment' to anti-Justin Bieber petition
- 4 Loch Ness Monster found on Apple Maps?
- 5 How We Met: Alison Moyet & Emma Kennedy: 'I knew we'd be friends because she was happy to make a prat of herself'
iJobs Food & Drink
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: There are many small development projects in ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Volunteer with Kaya in Borneo and work on a p...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: If you have a passion for elephants and want ...