BBQ tips and dishes from around the world
Tis the season for BBQ. Thanks to the new book from Steven Raichlen, renowned American BBQ master, teacher and author, you can learn 309 recipes from 60 countries for how to grill your summer dishes with cloth, pine needles, a shovel and much more.
Planet Barbecue!: 309 Recipes, 60 Countries ($22.95/€18.58), an original book that delves into barbecuing and its international culture, was published in May and The Epi-log, the food news and review blog of Epicurious.com, posted recipes and must-read sections on May 18 for both novice and advanced grillers.
Each recipe can be prepared over a fire and the book is packed with vivid images and complementary side dishes. Here is a list of some recipes that you will find inside the book:
- Lemongrass-Grilled Beef with Noodles and Salad ( Bo Bun) from Vietnam
- South African Shish Kebabs ( Sosaties, a Cape Malay meat dish)
- Quail "Kabanchik" Grilled in the Style of the Republic of Georgia
- Tandoori Grilled Kingfish from New Delhi, India
- Mussels Grilled on Pine Needles ( Eclade de Moules) from the Charantes region, France
- Pork shoulder with garlic and oregano, baste it with annatto oil, and spit-roast it ( Lechon Asado) from the countryside of Puerto Rico
- Pork steaks seasoned with nutmeg and grilled over a low, smoky fire ( Spiessbraten) from Germany.
- Grilled sliced pork belly ( Sam Gyeop Sal) from Seoul, South Korea
- Butterflied pork loin stuffed with ham, cheese, bacon, and peppers ( Bandiola) from Montevideo, Uruguay
- Pork kebabs with dried apricots and curry ( Sosaties) from Cape Town, South Africa,
- Lamb on a Shovel from Australia
- Salt-Crusted Beef Tenderloin Grilled in Cloth ( Lomo al Trapo) from Bogota, Columbia
Raichlen has also posted three recipes on Epicurious to try:
Grilled Chicken (Mann Oena K'tem Sor, Marech) from Cambodia http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Cambodian-Grilled-Chicken-em-Mann-Oeng-Ktem-Sor-Marech-em-359049
Smoke-Roasted Apples with Japanese Sweet Bean Paste from Japan http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Smoke-Roasted-Apples-with-Japanese-Sweet-Bean-Paste-359050
In case you are feeling like making some mak kimchi to go with your BBQ, you may want to check out the new iPad app from Maangchi's, a Korean food blog and vlog in English, which launched on May 11. It is available for €0.79 via the iTunes store.
To get a copy of the book, go to: http://www.workman.com/products/9780761148012
Life & Style blogs
Plus lateral thinking and living on London's waterways
Other popular areas include Didsbury, Clifton in Bristol, central Cambridge and West Bridgford
Doctors are allowed to have personal beliefs, just as long as these beliefs do not interfere with th...
Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
Living with Google Glass: what are they actually like to wear?
Microsoft's Xbox One: Have the price (£399) and release date (30 November) been leaked by online retailer Zavvi?
The 10 Best road-trip gadgets
Splint made by 3D printer used to save baby’s life
- 1 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Bloody attack brings terror to capital’s streets
- 2 Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
- 3 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 4 Eyewitness gives extraordinary account of her confrontation with Woolwich attackers
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL might have a sinister plan as a soldier is murdered in suspected Islamic terrorist attack
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.