BBQ tips and dishes from around the world
Sunday 23 May 2010
Tis the season for BBQ. Thanks to the new book from Steven Raichlen, renowned American BBQ master, teacher and author, you can learn 309 recipes from 60 countries for how to grill your summer dishes with cloth, pine needles, a shovel and much more.
Planet Barbecue!: 309 Recipes, 60 Countries ($22.95/€18.58), an original book that delves into barbecuing and its international culture, was published in May and The Epi-log, the food news and review blog of Epicurious.com, posted recipes and must-read sections on May 18 for both novice and advanced grillers.
Each recipe can be prepared over a fire and the book is packed with vivid images and complementary side dishes. Here is a list of some recipes that you will find inside the book:
- Lemongrass-Grilled Beef with Noodles and Salad ( Bo Bun) from Vietnam
- South African Shish Kebabs ( Sosaties, a Cape Malay meat dish)
- Quail "Kabanchik" Grilled in the Style of the Republic of Georgia
- Tandoori Grilled Kingfish from New Delhi, India
- Mussels Grilled on Pine Needles ( Eclade de Moules) from the Charantes region, France
- Pork shoulder with garlic and oregano, baste it with annatto oil, and spit-roast it ( Lechon Asado) from the countryside of Puerto Rico
- Pork steaks seasoned with nutmeg and grilled over a low, smoky fire ( Spiessbraten) from Germany.
- Grilled sliced pork belly ( Sam Gyeop Sal) from Seoul, South Korea
- Butterflied pork loin stuffed with ham, cheese, bacon, and peppers ( Bandiola) from Montevideo, Uruguay
- Pork kebabs with dried apricots and curry ( Sosaties) from Cape Town, South Africa,
- Lamb on a Shovel from Australia
- Salt-Crusted Beef Tenderloin Grilled in Cloth ( Lomo al Trapo) from Bogota, Columbia
Raichlen has also posted three recipes on Epicurious to try:
Grilled Chicken (Mann Oena K'tem Sor, Marech) from Cambodia http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Cambodian-Grilled-Chicken-em-Mann-Oeng-Ktem-Sor-Marech-em-359049
Smoke-Roasted Apples with Japanese Sweet Bean Paste from Japan http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Smoke-Roasted-Apples-with-Japanese-Sweet-Bean-Paste-359050
In case you are feeling like making some mak kimchi to go with your BBQ, you may want to check out the new iPad app from Maangchi's, a Korean food blog and vlog in English, which launched on May 11. It is available for €0.79 via the iTunes store.
To get a copy of the book, go to: http://www.workman.com/products/9780761148012
Life & Style blogs
Google Maps Pacman: company offers chance to play arcade classic on streets around the world
Google April Fools': company unveils backwards search engine and huggable digital assistant
Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
The Clove Club: The restaurant where you will pre-pay for your food
Apple Watch: What is it good for?
- 1 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 2 Google April Fools': company unveils backwards search engine and huggable digital assistant
- 3 I might be an MP, but that doesn't stop me fighting sexism with my breasts
- 4 April Fools' Day 2015: The best hoax news stories from around the internet
- 5 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
iJobs Food & Drink
£12500 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This established Wakefield Deal...
Competitive (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: our .NET Developers / Software Dev...
£25,000 - £30,000: Sheridan Maine: Are you looking for a fantastic opportunity...
£25000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Management Accountant - Manchester...