BBQ tips and dishes from around the world
Sunday 23 May 2010
Tis the season for BBQ. Thanks to the new book from Steven Raichlen, renowned American BBQ master, teacher and author, you can learn 309 recipes from 60 countries for how to grill your summer dishes with cloth, pine needles, a shovel and much more.
Planet Barbecue!: 309 Recipes, 60 Countries ($22.95/€18.58), an original book that delves into barbecuing and its international culture, was published in May and The Epi-log, the food news and review blog of Epicurious.com, posted recipes and must-read sections on May 18 for both novice and advanced grillers.
Each recipe can be prepared over a fire and the book is packed with vivid images and complementary side dishes. Here is a list of some recipes that you will find inside the book:
- Lemongrass-Grilled Beef with Noodles and Salad ( Bo Bun) from Vietnam
- South African Shish Kebabs ( Sosaties, a Cape Malay meat dish)
- Quail "Kabanchik" Grilled in the Style of the Republic of Georgia
- Tandoori Grilled Kingfish from New Delhi, India
- Mussels Grilled on Pine Needles ( Eclade de Moules) from the Charantes region, France
- Pork shoulder with garlic and oregano, baste it with annatto oil, and spit-roast it ( Lechon Asado) from the countryside of Puerto Rico
- Pork steaks seasoned with nutmeg and grilled over a low, smoky fire ( Spiessbraten) from Germany.
- Grilled sliced pork belly ( Sam Gyeop Sal) from Seoul, South Korea
- Butterflied pork loin stuffed with ham, cheese, bacon, and peppers ( Bandiola) from Montevideo, Uruguay
- Pork kebabs with dried apricots and curry ( Sosaties) from Cape Town, South Africa,
- Lamb on a Shovel from Australia
- Salt-Crusted Beef Tenderloin Grilled in Cloth ( Lomo al Trapo) from Bogota, Columbia
Raichlen has also posted three recipes on Epicurious to try:
Grilled Chicken (Mann Oena K'tem Sor, Marech) from Cambodia http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Cambodian-Grilled-Chicken-em-Mann-Oeng-Ktem-Sor-Marech-em-359049
Smoke-Roasted Apples with Japanese Sweet Bean Paste from Japan http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Smoke-Roasted-Apples-with-Japanese-Sweet-Bean-Paste-359050
In case you are feeling like making some mak kimchi to go with your BBQ, you may want to check out the new iPad app from Maangchi's, a Korean food blog and vlog in English, which launched on May 11. It is available for €0.79 via the iTunes store.
To get a copy of the book, go to: http://www.workman.com/products/9780761148012
Life & Style blogs
DNA hope on schizophrenia: Research breakthrough points at over 100 genes
Husband creates spreadsheet detailing wife's 'excuses' for turning down sex
Apple has installed security backdoors on 600m iPhones and iPads, claims security researcher
UK pirates will get four warning letters a year
Xiaomi Mi4: 'Apple of China' launches flagship mobile to challenge the iPhone
- 1 Husband creates spreadsheet detailing wife's 'excuses' for turning down sex
- 2 Apple has installed security backdoors on 600m iPhones and iPads, claims security researcher
- 3 Saneie Masilela, 9, marries Helen Shabangu, 53 years his senior, for the second time
- 4 UK pirates will get four warning letters a year
- 5 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
iJobs Food & Drink
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...
Unpaid voluntary role: Old Royal Naval College: To assist the Visitor Experien...
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...
£17K OTE £30K: Charter Selection: Highly successful and innovative specialist...