DRINK / Good buys
Saturday 17 April 1993
The Barossa Valley's revival continues with variations on the shiraz (syrah) grape theme. After Charlie Melton's Nine Popes, Australia's upside down, or rather inside out, Chateauneuf-du-Pape, comes RBJ 'theologicum' Barossa Valley Mourvedre Grenache 1991, pounds 6.99, Australian Wine Centre, London WC2 (071-925 0751). R stands for Chris Ringland, winemaker at Rockford, B for Rolf Binder of Veritas and the J is for Russell Johnson, an experienced Barossa viticulturalist. This unholy trinity have produced an aromatic red whose spice- tinged blackberry fruitiness combines with a peppery touch to create an exotic southern rhone-like effect.
From Tuscany, Castello di Farnetella 1990 is a new-wave chianti from an excellent vintage made by the talented winemaker Franco Bernabei: pounds 6.95, Winecellars, London SW18 (081-871 2668), Barnes Wine Shop, London SW13 (081-878 8643), pounds 7.75, Berry Bros & Rudd. A 7 per cent dash of merlot in the blend tames the sangiovese grape's natural tendency to astringency to produce an elegant, intensely flavoured young wine. This is a chianti with plenty of appeal for bordeaux lovers.
Life & Style blogs
Biggest structure in the universe is huge hole, scientists find
Kylie Jenner challenge: Strange lip suction device inspired by Kardashian sister goes viral
Female student 'burned up from the inside' and dies after taking eight DNP diet pills
Loch Ness Monster: Google Maps unveils its Doodle and Nessie Street View
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin file for divorce after 10 years of marriage
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor David Dinsmore reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 4 Bookies now say Ed Miliband is more likely to be prime minister than David Cameron
- 5 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
iJobs Food & Drink
£21K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Front of House Receptionist to provide th...
£24000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in Manchester, Lon...
Competitive (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a number of Marketi...
£20000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This well established business ...