Euro diners and dollar meals
Wednesday 19 May 2010
Given the recent fall of the euro currency and speculation about its possible demise, staff at both the
Wall Street Journal (WSJ) and Dow Jones (DJ) in Brussels got together to figure out if the currency of dining correlates in the same way as currency exchange.
The simple answer is no. Although one euro at the time of writing was equal to $1.24, sitting in a Belgium bistro or devouring delights in American cities like New York, San Francisco or Miami would be just about equivalent when factoring in taxes and gratuities.
The WSJ blog shows the mathematical formula and tallies meals to find "restaurant parity" by factoring in the:
- Prevailing state and local sales tax for the US restaurant
- Tipping custom in the US
- Whether the tip is figured before or after tax
- Tipping custom in Europe
The results show dining in Miami, Boston, New York, Portland and San Francisco are on par with one-euro to one-dollar ratio.
So no matter if you are a foodie in Europe headed to eat your way through the US or vice-versa; the price you will be paying won't make a difference but quality and taste will be left for the blogs such as review site Yelp, which just launched in France.
To view the calculations and see what city offers the biggest bang for your euro, go to: http://blogs.wsj.com/brussels/2010/05/17/restaurant-parity
Life & Style blogs
The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
How Stephen Hawking is still alive, defying ALS and the worst expectations
Majority of UK women don't bathe or take a shower daily
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 1 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 2 Man to be beheaded in Saudi Arabia after ripping up a Koran and hitting it with his shoe
- 3 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 4 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 5 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
iJobs Food & Drink
£12500 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This established Knaresborough ...
£23,000: Beverley James: Do you have a background in hospitality and are you l...
£26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The post holder is a key member of the V...
£18000 - £28800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Vehicle Breakdown Recovery Driv...