Euro diners and dollar meals
Wednesday 19 May 2010
Given the recent fall of the euro currency and speculation about its possible demise, staff at both the
Wall Street Journal (WSJ) and Dow Jones (DJ) in Brussels got together to figure out if the currency of dining correlates in the same way as currency exchange.
The simple answer is no. Although one euro at the time of writing was equal to $1.24, sitting in a Belgium bistro or devouring delights in American cities like New York, San Francisco or Miami would be just about equivalent when factoring in taxes and gratuities.
The WSJ blog shows the mathematical formula and tallies meals to find "restaurant parity" by factoring in the:
- Prevailing state and local sales tax for the US restaurant
- Tipping custom in the US
- Whether the tip is figured before or after tax
- Tipping custom in Europe
The results show dining in Miami, Boston, New York, Portland and San Francisco are on par with one-euro to one-dollar ratio.
So no matter if you are a foodie in Europe headed to eat your way through the US or vice-versa; the price you will be paying won't make a difference but quality and taste will be left for the blogs such as review site Yelp, which just launched in France.
To view the calculations and see what city offers the biggest bang for your euro, go to: http://blogs.wsj.com/brussels/2010/05/17/restaurant-parity
A cautionary tale for ambitious would-be authors
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 4 Newly vegan Beyoncé wears fox fur to dine in meat free restaurant
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£2000 - £25500 per annum + Benefits: Flight Centre Limited: We are seeking an ...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Data Management & ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...